i o r scopes

shoot57

I've looked through two IORs, both 4-14x50s, one the old style (with coloured mag ring), one brand new. They are heavy scopes, but with very clear glass. I didn't think these two particular IORs transmitted as much light as my Zeiss Victory and Swarovski scopes, but they were certainly impressive (pin-sharp clarity and resolution, and very robust).

I chose not to buy one because I didn't like the lack of choice of reticle. You are limited to IOR rings if you opt for the scopes with 35 or 40mm tubes. The underlying concern (and one that could be totally unfounded) was the comments I read on UKVarminting about repeatability issues when dialing in.

Have a delve back through the recent threads on UKV, Dave, although I'm sure you too only believe half of what you read. I didn't find such problems on the two scopes I tried, but it just made me a little hesitant. Plus mounting a 35/40mm tube on Sako rails is a tad difficult...

baldrick i know you are a meopta fan, how do you rate the ior against them?

The IOR appeared to me clearer than the big Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 that I had, and certainly clearer than the cheaper Meopta Artemis series. Both brands use very good glass, but I would say that overall the IOR glass seemed crisper (IOR's Schott Glasswerk lenses also have Zeiss's coatings). We were target shooting during daylight hours though, and any difference would have been much more noticeable at dusk.

What would you be using the IOR for, and which model are you considering?

the scope will be used for lamping foxes from a vehicle,i use a top end hawke at the moment and am happy with it but on some of the areas i shoot I'm having to take longer shots and at about 200yds using a filtered lamp I'm only looking at eyes, so thinking better glass would improve this, as for the model i am thinking of the fixed 10x56 as the scope i use is a 3- 10 and ever since Ive had it its been on 10x so i don't see the need for a variable type of scope, i would really prefer a tad more mag something like a 14x56 but don't know if they do one, by the way the scope i use at the moment has an illuminated centre dot which i like very much and the ior offers the same...

You really are comparing apples and pears: there is a vast gulf in quality between IOR and Hawke glass. You will be amazed.

I would not go for a 10x56 myself, purely because it denies you the optimum 7mm exit pupil. I would not choose a fixed-power scope myself for foxing. You will want the high mag to capitalise on the clarity of the IOR's glass under the lamp.

I leave my scopes on 9x for lamping, cranking that up to about 12-16x if needed. I also use the scopes for woodland stalking, on 6x.

Very good value for money, Mind you they have gone up in price since i had mine.

I have the 4-14x56 ill ret, extremly robust as said previously, i went A over T a few months ago with rifle over my shoulder fell smack on my back and rifle, slight mark on the scope but did not lose zero :no:

Very good in low light also, unless my eysight is failing i would not put money on comparing other top range scopes.

as for adjustments not noticed any issues when dialing in. Bisley last year 4 shots on 5p @200yds group was low and slightly left- adjusted the scope and the 5th was a bull, so its not that bad.

mind you i cant seem to hit Charlie :hmm:

Edited by Dougy

I have an IOR 3-18 x 42 Illum on my foxing rig and have use it in anger now for two years...I honestly can't fault it in any way.

Repeatability when dialing has been good when I've done some long range work with the rifle, and the glass is excellent.

Baldrick - IOR now do a tapered two piece rail that will fit the Sako taper, I have one on my A2 and it works just fine.