Second dog...

Wookie

Mrs. Wookie is tired of me having Ted all to myself and, as she has been wanting a dog herself for years (just not something as mental as a Springer), she's decided that now is the right time to look fr and get her own dog.

She's happy with the idea that I will be walking him (can't have a her with Ted around... no way) in the morning, lunchtime and probably evening and doing the basic training with him, but she's like something that is smaller than Ted and a bit calmer. Ideally I'd like something to compliment Ted, but I somehow doubt that dog 2 will be coming out shooting with me and the boy.

My first thought for the "smaller" bit was to say Cocker, but I am not sure they fall into the "calmer" category. Terriers are pretty much out thanks to a yappy experience with a Border Terrier, although if there was something that looked sweet, I think she might be tempted. Sausage dogs are out too because, quite frankly, they are gei.

So... Small(ish) and calm(ish). Those are the requirements.

Any recommendations?

My first thought for the "smaller" bit was to say Cocker, but I am not sure they fall into the "calmer" category.

We got a Cocker to go with our Springer, thinking they were calmer.... WRONG! It's been mad for a few months, but now they're settling down a bit. Think they make a very good pairing IMHO

Looks like we're going to be getting a cocker (working breed natch).

Found a place with a couple of brown dog cockers just north of us that will be ready in a couple of weeks, so we may well be going to have a look and a potential buy.

We just need to see the dogs themselves and have a look at the pedigree. The good news is that they are from working parents (both sides) and the guy that has them is a shooter. He actually warmed up a lot when I told him that I was one and that Ted was a worker.

Fingers crossed.

Well, looks like it's a done deal.

Spoke to the chap just now and in three weeks we will be the proud owners of a liver and white working cocker puppy.

Yep. Mad. Both of us.

Looks like Ted will be getting company in the form of Herbie in about three weeks.

Mrs. Wookie doesn't know that I'll be training him with Ted for the season after next. Heheheheh