ferreting with my mates

cooke103

well done mate you still ferreting now.i gave up end of feb

did you get many layups because of young?

what mesh you using on your longnet did any of the cute cuddley ones get through your nets?

keep up the good work. my best day so far is 45 in 6 hours just using longnets around the burrows and either side of the hedges somedays they bolt well other days they just keep running up and down the hedges. that day everythiong went hunky dorey.i was runnig up and down the hedge like a man possesed.

i see you have modified your net into a quickset type what length is it and do you go out at night with it.my best set was this year7th jan when we had them really strong gales. we set 250 yards of net on a stubble field against a wood .ther was 4 of us 2 set the nets and the other pair banted in. theres nothing better than fealing the rabbits hit the net.then the rush come trying to get all the ******* out 35 in total. must have lost half a dozen that managed to get out as well.we had three of them when we where picking the nets up they had come out to feed from the wood and got enmeshed in the back of the net.started at 7 wrapped up and in the local boozer for 8.30 what a night to remember neadless to say we celabrated in style

and managed to drag our sorry ***** out at 4.30 :thumbs:

the farmer who we catch the rabbits for used to do a bit of rabbiting himself manymoons ago and he tryed his hand at longnetting to no avail. that night he come along with us. a real country gent.quote"i shall never forget this night a truly marvelous way of catching rabbits he was grinning from ear to ear.

did you get many layups because of young?

no none atall rather suprising :thumbs:

what mesh you using on your longnet

i use the normall diamond net like the purse nets are.

did any of the cute cuddley ones get through your nets?

yeh but there were three of us and we just ran after them

i see you have modified your net into a quickset type what length is it

it is a 100 yard net. the qiuck set system is great. just peg the first peg in and walk backwards till you feel a tug and put the next one in. its really easy.

do you go out at night with it

have tried though it would be easy because it was a quick set system. it wasnt lol couldnt get the hang of it atall.

:lol:

Edited by cooke103

:thumbs: Bit late in the season now mate as you can see by the amount of young uns you got there in my opinion its a waste of decent food as theres no meal on them :lol:

:lol: Jordan, I enjoy reading your posts especially as you are a young lad in the sport and what is more you write in a legible way.

However you seem to be wearing two hats on this subject because your topic on "a few bunnies" (which I see you have deleted), you were defending your right to shoot young rabbits and I wholeheartedly agree with.

You either agree with their shooting/netting etc as crop protection or not mate. :lol:

Who cares. Rabbits are out there to be controlled, you either control them or you dont. I dont belive there to be any middle ground. If I had land that was overun with rabbits I wouldn't care what time of year it was, just get the ******* out of here! Why do you control pigeons ? Cause there's too many of them. Why do you control rabbits ? Cause there's to many of them. Why do you shoot deer ? Cause there's too many of them. And so on...

If i found out somebody left the small ones to grow and just shot the big ones then it would be a word in the ear or someone else would get the rights to my land if I had any. Dont forget your whole permission revolves around keeping numbers of pests down. Not conserving them for your yearly sport. Wether it be deer, pigeons, rats or indeed the rabbit. Your job is to control them first and enjoy doing it as a sport or hobby second.

I dont think that you can justify it any other way.

ernyha i can unserstand doing it for pest control but i personally ferret for fun so dont like killing next years sport the land i was shooting on is land that i do only shoot on hence why i kill the young uns as it is purely pest control hope that cleared it up. any other questions about ti please pm me as i dont want to hijack cooke103's post

My six pennorth, for what its worth. :thumbs:

Killing rabbits 12 months of the year for the purposes of crop protection is quite acceptable.

Putting ferrets to earth, when rabbits are breeding, or there are kits underground, is bad practise.

It encourages ferrets to, become lazy, kill and lay up.

You also rarely get much return in the way of meat, unless you want to spend all day digging.

• 2 weeks later...