HELP / ADVICE NEEDED

TOM'S DAD

post-2368-1243463744.jpgpost-2368-1243463744.jpg[attac

hment=25175:teal_2__Small_.jpg]I hope some one will read this and give me some much needed advice.

Has anybody had a springer with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament or heard of any springer owner who has had this problem.

My trusted springer, Teal, has ruptured this ligament in his rear leg and under advice from my vet, will need an operation to rectify this, at a cost of around £1200, with only a 75% chance of regaining full strength in his leg.

I am out of my mind with worry as to wether this operation is likely to be successful, both for Teal's working future and my needs for my working Springer.

I sincerely don't want to lose my very trusted companion and would be immensely grateful if anyone has any relevant history or results with this type of repair, (known as a EXTRACAPSULAR REPAIR).

The operation is booked for Friday 12th June, and my decision has to be made, reluctantly, by then.

Thanks

John

i have a rottie with the same problem...my vet only gave him a 50% chance of success with no guarantee that it would last at a cost of £1500 :good: i took advice from a dog rehabilitation centre who had good results with a supplement called topspec mobility link.he has been on this for about 2 years now and it has virtually repaired itself.....still walks with a slight limp but i don't walk him no longer than 1 hour anymore.....i would think that a springer being more active would have problems healing to full strength....might be worth a try though....just have to keep him pretty imobile for about 3 months after op though....hope this helps

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your predicament with Teal :good: ....ACL is one I've heard of affecting Golden Retrievers as their weight combined with a spin around or bounce that goes wrong is simply enough to tear the ligament.

I think one of the key things is the dog's condition, clearly being a working springer, the chances of Teal being overweight are slim?? So if he is in good condition carrying no excess weight this would aid the recovery a lot from the op! Also, how quiet are you able to keep him for the recovery period? You've not said how old Teal is, but with the chances for arthiritis setting into the joint if not repaired, then so long as Teal is stong and healthy then I wish both the very best of luck with the operation.

:oops:

Thanks for the support lads.

Just for the record, Teal is nearly 6 years old, but is still a very hard working dog, (until this problem).

i have been advised he would need total rest for 2 months, with lead walks.

Then a further 2 months gentle exercise, (especially swimming), to build back any fitness or mucscle loss.

This i would gladly go through with Teal, if i was confident this operation and rehabilitation would get Teal to someway near his normal capabilities.

I would sincerely appreciate any positive/negative feedback on this type of repair, as i do intend to work Teal if this operation is carried out.

If after this operation, Teal was unable to work, it would be as devastating for him and as it would be for me.

I do not think Teal could live the life of a pet, and for the cost of this operation, i could aquire a very good dog as a working replacement.

Many Thanks

John

Is there an option to have the leg removed were it to fail? 75% is a good chance if you're a betting man If you're worried it may be worth getting another vets view. It is a lot of money if he isn't insured but it comes down to how good a dog he's been for you in the past as lets face it he's only got another couple of years of full time action before you need to start taking it a little easier.

A dog I had about 10 years ago, rottie x great dane completely snapped his on the one rear leg, vet said it was the gazza injury???, anyway, i'm sure he had to take some ligament from somewhere else to help repair the damaged leg, took months for him to get walking again properly, and had to keep him on a strict diet to keep the weight low as poss, but he did get back to normal, could still run hard, jump etc etc and lived normally for many years after.

teal my springer harry done the same the first shoot of last season, the vet gave him a course of injections and advice to try and prevent an opp, it was a long healing procces which took months,the first three he was confined to his run (hard i know) the next three was lead only increasing it on an extened 25ft lead the vet was very pleased with his recovery,pleny of rest and love to my trusted friend he is now back and will be ready for the coming season, so teal have a chat with your vet to see if this is an option, i have spoke to many people on here who have gave me good suport and advice, so what ever road you chose good luck mate and let me no how your getting on with him

kenny

A mate's flatcoat had this, the cost to sort it was phenomenal, there were complications and the healing process took about 18 months. The dog was young and a pet rather than a worker and he now enjoys a good quality of life.

Being 100% honest, as far as your dog is concerned, I would write him off as a worker and make provision with another dog - hard to take but he may not recover enough to do a full day and you will lose a lot of time in recovery, remember the dog is 6 and by 7 dogs are classed as senior.

Whether you go through with the op and the cost is up to you, again personally my dogs are insured so I would. If the op is a success and he rehabilitates well then you are in good shape, with a younger dog for harder or longer days but with Teal - who will most likey be between 7 and 8 before he can venture out to work again - to enjoy working as and when he is able for it with no pressure on either of you.

The dog has done well by you so it is only fair to do what you can to help him recover and get him back doing what he loves; I'm just saying don't have the pressure of you needing a dog for you shooting hanging over you.

Good luck and I hope he makes a good recovery.