A nice surprise day on the pigeon......:o)

Si-Bore

Hey people,

I went out for a walk with the SG on one of my permissions. I was sat under a sitty tree for jackdaws and rooks using my caller and shot 2 in the hour. Meanwhile I noticed a strong pigeon flightline over the neighbouring fields but it didn't cross the land I was on. So I rang the farmer who I am now good friends with and asked him if he would ask his neighbour if I can shoot on there. A call came through 2 mins later and I had the green light. So I walked back to the car gathered all my gear then set off on the 3/4 mile journey over the fields. There were 2 fields but I favoured the small one nearer the wood. The wind would keep the shots away and the birds moving over the flightline down the bottom edge of the field. I set up on the brow of the gently sloping bank using my newly purchased flapper and 15 shells on wobblers (which caused frustration in the high wind as they kept blowing off).

The wind was on my back, decoys 25-45m out with the hide set against the hedge. On set up completion the time was 1.30pm.

The birds came in immediately with some really challenging shots, in fact some of the most exciting shooting I have seen. Very rarely did they keep on the same line for more than a second unless totally committed over the pattern. The wind was 20-30mph on the hill and dust was blowing. The field was strangely deceiving in judging distance and I pulled off a few of the best long shots for a long time without realising, killing cleanly at out to 60m using 1/2 choke with 32g of number 6 diamond shot. The sport died off early unfortunately (approx 4.00pm) and I sat for the last couple of hours with very few coming in. I did however finish the day with a lovely double and knew it was a perfect way to finish the day and end the shooting.

Not a huge bag but considering I have had virtually no pigeon shooting over the last month (due to the crop situation) - it was a blessing! :good:

Bag for the day was: 26 wood pigeon and 4 jackdaws for 48 shots.

Cheers all,

Si

Edited by Si-Bore