Diseased hen bird!

A neighbour just told me there was a hen pheasant down by the farm that had been hit by a car but was still alive.

I went down there to see the hen balled up on the side of the road just opposite the farm. As I picked it up that had plenty of life in it. As I started to look over it, I notice its eyes were swollen and sealed- a little bit like the eyes of a mixi rabbit. Also its bottom beak was crossing out to the side and quite long. Any ideas what was wrong and can it spread?

I don't no whether the beak can grow internally and course problem with its eyes or it was just diseased!

I dispatched of it so its no longer suffers.

Edited by Huntinlass

A neighbour just told me there was a hen pheasant down by the farm that had been hit by a car but was still alive.

I went down there to see the hen balled up on the side of the road just opposite the farm. As I picked it up that had plenty of life in it. As I started to look over it, I notice its eyes were swollen and sealed- a little bit like the eyes of a mixi rabbit. Also its bottom beak was crossing out to the side and quite long. Any ideas what was wrong and can it spread?

I don't no whether the beak can grow internally and course problem with its eyes or it was just diseased!

I dispatched of it so its no longer suffers.

Mycoplasma, yes it can spread, usually found in laying flocks.

Andy

Edited by Doggone

Could be bird flu or something else potentially serious!...don’t wish to alarm you but if you find any more birds like that you really should report them. The odd one or two is probably not a problem but any more and I’d start to wonder. Also make sure you practice sensible hygene precautions when handling any dead/dying birds...just in case.

On the other hand pheasants are generally the dumbest of birds and will always find one way or another to die! :blink:

Sounds like infectious sinusitis, were its nostrils gunged? The beak was probably like that all its life and is not related. Best thing to do is cull it.

No the nostrils were clear. I haven't seen anymore over the farm like that. The cock bird the hen was following is still around and him and his other hens are fine. So looks like it was a one off. Shall keep my eyes peeled though.