What's in your bag

I went out this afternoon and bought 1000 Eley Superbs and 1000 Lyalvale Express "English Sporter" :hmm:

Never heard of these English Sporter jobs. They're red though, so they must be good :lol:

Anybody used them, or have I just wasted £121?

I got them for close up floppers and droopers, I wouldn't bother using them on proper targets, that's what the Superb are for. I normally get cheapo steel shot for the close stuff but he didn't have any :o

I can see Magman looking at this - he's going to make some mong comment in a minute about how I might as well use rock salt and nails for all the difference it would make to my shooting :lol::P :P

Edited by Chard

i can get cheap steel carts. :lol:

I'm always in the market for them if you can get them. Branthwaites didn't have any today, and Bond & Bywater didn't have any last week when I was arseing about in Preston, they said that nobody wanted them any more as most grounds don't allow them :hmm:

I like them for close stuff, I find them good, quick and hard-hitting :lol:

How cheap is cheap? :P

I went out this afternoon and bought 1000 Eley Superbs and 1000 Lyalvale Express "English Sporter" :lol:

Never heard of these English Sporter jobs. They're red though, so they must be good :lol:

I got them for close up floppers and droopers, I wouldn't bother using them on proper targets, that's what the Superb are for. I normally get cheapo steel shot for the close stuff but he didn't have any :o

I can see Magman looking at this - he's going to make some mong comment in a minute about how I might as well use rock salt and nails for all the difference it would make to my shooting :P :P :o

:( :no::no:

Just make sure you beat them southerners :hmm: If you need any of the specials to do it let me no

:(

:P:P :o

Just make sure you beat them southerners :lol: If you need any of the specials to do it let me no

:lol:

I've got a few excuses held in reserve - home ground advantage etc etc :(

That Tosspot only lives round the corner, I think he shoots these targets from the bottom of his garden :hmm:

I went out this afternoon and bought 1000 Eley Superbs and 1000 Lyalvale Express "English Sporter" :hmm:

I can see Magman looking at this - he's going to make some mong comment in a minute about how I might as well use rock salt and nails for all the difference it would make to my shooting :lol::P :P

I'd have bought a new bronze brush to go with those english sporters if i was you because you'll knacker your old one trying to clean the crud off your cones! Don't know what powder is in them but it aint vectan thats for sure!! Performance wise they seem fine but they are just too dirty and the fibre version are proper confetti jobs!

This is what I'm using at present, notice the difference between old and new carts ?

DSC02552.jpg

Actually you'll probably find there are TWO different wads. The larger 2.3mm pellet load takes up slightly more room than the 2.2mm load because the interstices (spaces between individual pellets) are larger in the former. The wad has to be compressed that little bit extra to effect a neat closure. The extra 'brass' (it is plated steel) on the shell has no significance in this shell. The Cheddite* CX2000 primer and the Vectan D20 powder are the same for each shell. The low brass shell has a slightly thicker base wad. The ballistics will be identical, near as dammit.

*'though Martignoni and Fiocchi hulls/primers have been used in the past.

Edited by Floating Chamber

The original 'English Sporter' was launched in the 1990s. It was loaded with Vectan AS powder, a B&P z24 wad and 28 grams of hard shot. It was basically a suped-up 'PRO Comp' in a clear case with green or red ink colour-coded to the shot-size.

There's nowt wong with the latest EP except I would like to see them in English 6 for pigeons!

The original 'English Sporter' was launched in the 1990s. It was loaded with Vectan AS powder, a B&P z24 wad and 28 grams of hard shot. It was basically a suped-up 'PRO Comp' in a clear case with green or red ink colour-coded to the shot-size.

There's nowt wong with the latest EP except I would like to see them in English 6 for pigeons!

Take it you work for Lyalvale Floating Chamber?! All i use is Express in several different loads and love them but English Sporters aren't my cup of tea. My perazzis clean no bother usually but not with those things. What is the power? It's a grey disc rather than the usual vectan flake.

I'd have bought a new bronze brush to go with those english sporters if i was you because you'll knacker your old one trying to clean the crud off your cones! Don't know what powder is in them but it aint vectan thats for sure!! Performance wise they seem fine but they are just too dirty and the fibre version are proper confetti jobs!

I like a bit of filth :hmm:

Not all SNPE powders are flake; D20 is a DISC powder; that is what the 'D' stands for.

The latest English Sporter' have a GM3 type granular powder. In some cases, granular powders are re-manufactured military powders. Nothing wrong with them; just recycled.

All of the manufacturers are trying their hardest to keep down the price of shooting. Remember, in the old days of Purchase Tax shotgun cartridges were luxury items. If you are under 30 years of age, you will not know what this means.

In my time, in the 1960s, a box of 25 shells would have been 1/20 of my weekly wage. This means about a minimum of fifteen quid a box of 25 by today's standards.

FC