Pick your brains

daz2202

Guy's

I have had permission to shoot massive orchards and have been for the last couple of years but never to any great success. Always just a few birds with rabbit a plenty.

As the other permission i have is all rape, at the moment the orchard seems my best place. However there is always plenty of pigeon but they dont seem to decoy well or if i just walk round they see / hear me well before i am near.

The orchard circumference is a shade over 14miles so could be a massive playground for me if only i could get it right. I have exhausted my field craft knowlege now and i am not doing as well as i would have liked. So...

Does anyone have large apple and plum orchards to shoot and how do you get on? And does anyone have any new ideas which i could test out?

Daz

In my area, the main problem in decoying orchards, is that the pigeons are rarely feeding there, but just resting/digesting.

I have had some success in decoying the perimeters, where a larger headland has been left and the birds are on clover, but there are usually far more productive areas to shoot, so I don't persevere with the orchards.

You need to persuade your Farmer to crub them out and plant some nice peas, linseed, maize, etc. :good:

If it was me I'd try & locate a fav' tree or area they use.

It's an orchard to you, just a bit of woodland to others.

Why are the birds there ?

Food or just hanging about ?

Flight line in or out ?

One side close to a "food" field ?

I'd just go for an idle walk about & take note.

Do it often enough & you'll start to read the signs.

Pigeon or corvids don't eat apples so what clues are there to the why question.

Well, I have had 3 evenings this week up there, walked miles and enjoyed every minute of it as always (so does the dog).

Seen hundreds, shot a few. they seem to just be sitting on the floor in the many isles of trees. I reckon they do use the area as a bit of a safe haven / cover. Still getting plenty of rabbits, but just prefer shooting flying grey things.

There has always been fave sitty trees and there are many flight lines into the woods.

I will carry on going up there untill the crop fields are ready for me to return. I love the walk and the challenge and the hound thinks 2-3 hour walks sniffing out the rabbits is heaven.