Exercise Requirements

Lloyd90

Everyone goes on about how working dogs have alot of energy and such but no one specifies how much time / training they need.

Its probally alright for someone who already has a dog n has some idea of what they require but not all of us are so lucky.

Just wondering much much you would walk the following dogs and for how long. I try to go jogging everyday n train so shouldn't be a problem

but with some breeds there said to be destructive if not given adequate exercise... just what is adequate ? :hmm:

So I was wondering regarding the following dogs

German Short Hair Pointer

Springer Spaniel

Cocker Spaniel

Labrador Retriever

Appreciate any tips guys :) thanks :good:

All of the breeds you mention will take more exercise than the majority can give them, there are no hard and fast times for exercise and if the dog's destructive it's because it's bored, not necessarily unexercised.

Exercise the brain, not the body and the dog will settle better. 15 minutes of training can be better than an hour free running.

Id have no problem doing that and don't mind getting up @ times like 6am and going for a good 45min-1hour walk/training session on the nature reserve next to my house :)

Then going for another / jog in the evening :good: Its just not having a dog its hard to grasp how much time you need to commit :lol:

Thanks for the info mate :hmm:

I let my dogs out every evening for a run in the garden and maybe a bit of training. twice a week I bring them out to the fields with a friend of mine who also has dogs to let them run about. The dogs are in good condition they're not destructive. They have each other for company and they're fit and healthy. As has already been said 15min of training is better than an four of running free.

well what your looking for in the early months is for every 4 weeks of age, 5 Mins worth of excercise, obviously when the pup has matured you can do what you please, like people have said before brain working is much more demanding than physical this will definitely tire your dog and in the long run,the dog will be alot more rounded as you have concentrated on training and not just excercising.

This doesn't apply to everyone, but myself i personally restrict free running as this can cause huge problems with your training on so on.

Hope this helps RS