Pigeon Breast...

kev 1

Fry some bacon lardons, I use pancetta, fry til golden and crispy. set aside.

in same pan, fry whole breasts in a little olive oil with chopped garlic clove and some fresh chopped thyme. 2-3 mins each side, and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.

Slice thinly and serve with mixed salad leaves, sprinkle with lardons and a decent home made dressing of choice. I use a dressing i make from extra virgin olive oil, some walnut oil, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

Bobs your uncle.

Firstly and in answer to your question; I sometimes keep meat in a freezer up to a year, then the dogs get it!

IMO there's so much **** talked about sell by dates, use by dates etc etc with food and we waste more than we eat (as a population in general). Use your nose and if it doesn't smell right don't eat it but otherwise it's probably OK and if cooked properly NOTE 'properly' right through and at the right temperature there's not much will do you in. This last point is probably more for microwave cooking than conventional oven cooking as microwaves can be a bit imprecise.

On the point someone made about fly eggs in the freezer this is most important especially at this time of year. I always leave dead stuff to cool overnight BEFORE putting it in the freezer and inspect it for fly blow. I pull off any fly blow that I find and then freezer them. If anything has hatched it gets binned. I think if you get a problem once the stuff is in the freezer it's due either to the eggs having hatched BEFORE the stuff went into the freezer OR there might be a 'hot' spot in the freezer and the eggs/maggots lasted long enough to eat their way through some of the stuff. IMO done right fly eggs/maggots will not survive for long in the freezer. I turn mine up a notch or three in the summer to be sure and keep an eye on them as the odd thunder storm we get at this time of year can knock the power out and then you could have BIG problems!