rifle comparrisons

dave1979

It's a fair comparison and the HMR seems to win every time but I will stick with my .22. I have not long got my FAC and bought a second hand Winchester Model 290 (Cheap and chearful I know!) but I am realy happy with it. I went out on to a new 1,000 plus acre permission yesterday with the Winny and had a great morning with 12 rabbits for 17 shots (Several shots were used to check the zeroing at the start) and most of them were head shots at between 50 and 85 yards, so I'm not complaining. When I bought the gun I was told that the magazine took 8 shots but I have found that it will take 15, so even better. The rifle is fitted with a SAK Moderator and Tasco 3-9 X 50 Illuminated Reticule Scopes and I take most of my shots free standing. Maybe I would have been better going for a .17 HMR which I think is a better caliber, but I am happy with what I have got!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Jesus. this old thing again?

HMR -

Long range

More Damage

Flatter tragetory.

Cheaper bullets

Cheaper rifles

Very quiet.

I have never seen one as a direct improvement for the other. There are situations where each can have a distinctive advantage over the other.

I remember watching that, and many others, when I was tryign to make my mind up between the two rimfires a while ago.

It's a terrible video because anyone new to rimfires may think that a .22 is less accurate than a .17, due to the shooter's poor skills.

But it does prove what a mess an HMR bullet can potentially make of vermin.

The bloke can't shoot his .22 though. Rubbish groups. I am looking at a card I shot at 60m with my CZ and it's well less than an inch across..

Two different weapons for different jobs, it has all been said before. I am however with Wookie on this one, if this was the grouping on my 22lr I would be scrapping my ammo or my rifle.

ps The damage to the clay block was quite interesting.

Edited by Fat Dog