12g and rabbits

hi all

quite new to this so please be kind what is the best range i can get with steel shot and would i benifit from switching to lead do you getting better distance and hitting power with lead?

I mainly shoot rabbits if that helps

thanks

hi all

quite new to this so please be kind what is the best range i can get with steel shot What range/shot size are you shooting now ? and would i benifit from switching to lead do you getting better distance and hitting power with lead? What is your cartridge to kill ratio ?

I mainly shoot rabbits if that helps

thanks

Assuming you're using a 12 gauge shotgun for the rabbits.

28 or 30 grams of lead in a fibre wad in 6 shot with cyl + 1/4 or 1/4 + 1/2 choke. Keep your range to about 30 yds.

Rabbit land is usually used by cattle as well hence the fibre wad, never shoot straight on or going away shots, hard to kill like this and a wounded rabbit crawling away into a bush is not clever.

Guest topshot_2k

i wouldnt want to be using Steel shot on rabbits, it ricochets of wood/hard ground etc and has plastic wads

anything bigger than 28g #6shot will do, my personal preference is lead 32g #5

HI I personally use lead 30/32 GRAM No5 shot, I ocasionally use No6 but I personally prefer No5 never had a wounded runner, You have to think of your quarry

Steel is not suitable for rabbits!!!

Hia Mate

As above, definately lead, I use 30g No6, dropped one at 40yds, and two at about 30 yds last week, 3 from 5 shots, not a bad effort, missed a possible two tho, Damn !! positioning yourself is just as important, coz they ain`t stupid, find where they are popping out, get yourself some cover preferably downwind and wait, patience nearly always pays up !!!

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...