Stock and forend care

Condor

An oiled stock is much easier to keep clean and to effect a repair if it get a ding . Its a lot easier to raise a dent in an oiled stock than a varnished stock by applying steam from a hot iron . All my guns have an oiled finish ,rifles and shot guns . If not an oiled finnish when purchased i strip them and finish with linseed oil . They need a light oiling a couple of times a year or when they have got wringing wet . Apply a small amount of oil to the stock by rubbing in with the palm of the hand untill you can feel the friction , leave to dry .

Harnser .

Thanks guys, is it just linseed oil then or are there branded products that are recommended?

Boiled linseed oil is what i use . Ther are other products on the market that have all sorts of additives in them ,mainly to make them dry quicker .

Harnser .

CCL make a good gun-stock conditioning oil. Be very sparing it's much better to put a little on at a time.

If you use too much you may get a tacky finish. I will put no more than a thin coat if it needs it then let dry for a month or so before even thinking about another coat. If your airing cupboard is warm & dry leave it in there over night.

Edited by BigG

I use walnut oil. Works fine and I like the match between the walnut wood and the walnut oil. You can find it in the salad dressing aisle of the supermarket and tastes great in salads too.

I built some furniture out of walnut and gave that a number of walnut oil coatings also. Looks great and it is one less bottle to keep in the workshop as it can go straight back into the kitchen after use.

Cheers,

Vincent

What finish does your stock currently have ? This will guide you on how to look after it. If its varnish or laquer applying an oil finish will be futile.

If its varnish or laquer, I would do what Harnser suggested and strip it and go for the oil. :good:

I have just used walnut oil on my gun. I was told to leave it out to dry for 24 hours. Which I did - close to 72 hours in fact (stock and forend only barrels safely secured in the cabinet). Unfortunately went out last night and it obviously wasn't quite dry when I put it in the slip.

Still the light coating of fluff really flies in the face of the anti's view of us all being crazed macho types. :yes:

Edited by Kron