Drink Ideas

DanRM

Hi there, after reading the very recent post "Sloes" i thought of trying to get a little thread going on what has been tried and tested.

I had great fun last year collecting Berries to add to some alcohol, and after what i made last year turning out so good, not only am i going to up the quantities but the varieties too.

Just looking some ideas on what else i could use this year and the best way too make it.

I have some sloe gin from 2 years ago(if harvest is good year i will be making more)

Last year i made some Blackberry Vodka which turned out superb used 500g sugar/1Kg berry/1L Dry vodka

as well as a Loganberry Vodka using the same recipe as above.

Was thinking of making raspberry and Strawberry gin/vodka too

Any other recipes that could benefit i and anyone else interested would be greatly appreciated

(just remembered the pinned topic of game drinks, but in case anyone says about it im not after mixes just home brews on a whole)

Dan

Edited by DanRM

Totally off the clear alcohol line, but here they make prunier, where you take plums, and roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven until they are a little less soft than a stewed prune, while they are still very hot, put them into a large bottle, then pour in Armagnac to fill the bottle. You could use cognac. Let sit for as long as you like. It is a fantastic thing to drink after a morning's hunt and before lunch.

Pete

Last year I made Rasberry Vodka. 2lbs of rasberries 2lb of sugar and a litre of your finest, cheapest Vodka stick it all in a big jar or demi john and leave it for 6 weeks shaking or stirring every day. Then progressively filter until clear (I went through 4 filter stages finishing with a coffee filter) you end up with a bright red clear liquor that tastes like the sauce you get for ice cream but it's about 40%/vol. One more tip is to freeze the berries (whatever you use) as this breaks down the cell membranes and you get the juice easier. :no:

A friend of mine makes all kinds of flavoured Vodkas including Rhubarb and believe it or not Chilli!! Not for the faint hearted!! :good: