Home Brewing

Markio

Thanks a lot for all that info Andy, it's left me with quite a few options, regarding the 3-4 pints of sedimenty cider, I was expecting the sediment to come away in one swoosh!

Getting the sediment out of the tap, its very tempting to just tip the keg a little backwards to clear it but would this be a bad idea? I'm guessing so as it sounds too easy.. That and you mention nothing of the sort. :beer:

I'm off to work now and I'll give an update on the brew when it's sorted, or when it all just goes to the dogs :good:

Google leads me to believe it is the Quickserve tap, and I am quite tempted to try your 'exciting' method. :yes:

Just a question after your last message, what is the finings used for, Does it stop air contamination? I did a quick search but no answers - only instructions on how to use them.

Well thanks for the reply once again. :good:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shucks

Finings are substances added to beer and wine to help coagulate all the suspended particles and cause them to drop to the bottom of the barrel/demijohn and leave the beer or wine crystal clear (until you disturb the sediment when you try and rack the brew into another vessel B) )

They are made from various substances, eg fish bladders, crushed shellfish, boiled calf feet, clay etc and work either electrostatically or simply as a bl**dy big sponge that slowly drops to the bottom dragging everything with it. if you want the gory details (and trust me, there are plenty) click here

Finings won't stop the beer/wine or cider becoming contaminated, but they will cause any suspended particles to be removed so that you can siphon off your clear (but flat) brew into another barrel and at least be able to drink it after inserting a couple of blasts of CO2.

You can check to see if it is a quickserve tap here

If you do try my "exciting method", I'd recommend doing it outside and wearing waterproofs.....

Andy

Edited by colchesterhomebrew