Decoying Over Rape Stubble

Hi,

It looks like the combine should be working at my Girlfriend's place over the next few days, and I've got the chance of a 30 acres of rape stubble to shoot over.

So, I've got to get the decoys out, charge the flapper battery, sort out our hide materials, gun's ready, carts ready, get my seat out of the shed.

Find my face veil, maybe buy a crow decoy, long sleeve camo/green t/shirt and I reckon I'm away.

But, can anyone spot anything I've missed or need and offer any hints/tips?

Cheers,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

I went up to some rape stubble, that had been cut. It had been combined weeks beforehand mind you.

Anyway, in this cut section of a big hilly field, there was clouds of pigeons. Up I go with all my stuff and walk them off the field...

...for them to never return.

Watched a while and saw them flighting over a tree line, so with great effort moved over there... just as the flight line dried up!

Ended up with 5 shot and a few misses.

I wish you luck! :drinks:

I recommend lots of static decoys, fairly dense but covering a large area.

I don't own bouncers/floaters but these are meant to be the bees knees for stubbles :birthday: I used a magnet and think that with out iI wouldn't even have got 5. :birthday::friends:

Set up the same as you would on any stubble.

The more decoys you have the better, a couple of bouncers will help add movement to the pattern and a magnet or flapper will also help :birthday:

A standerd horse shoe shape pattern will work well, I tend not to use them. I will set my pattern out as reallistic as possible, basically I will spread my decoys out just here and there normally in little groups of 3 or 4 decoys and I have found this works well.

A couple of lofted decoys in a tree will help bring birds in aswell.

Always check and see where the birds are going and how they are feeding and this will help you see how to set your decoys out.

We have had some fantastic days shooting over rape stubble this year and I hope it is the same for you :birthday:

Good Luck mate :friends:

Edited by MerseaDavid

Hi,

It looks like the combine should be working at my Girlfriend's place over the next few days, and I've got the chance of a 30 acres of rape stubble to shoot over.

So, I've got to get the decoys out, charge the flapper battery, sort out our hide materials, gun's ready, carts ready, get my seat out of the shed.

Find my face veil, maybe buy a crow decoy, long sleeve camo/green t/shirt and I reckon I'm away.

But, can anyone spot anything I've missed or need and offer any hints/tips?

Cheers,

Sam

Hide poles,

food, water :lol:

Water, definitely if its a warm day as a 2% decrease in body weight through loss of water can cause up to a 20% decrease in performance, reduced concentration and decision making,

slower reaction times ;)

Sorry that's the old ''gym queen'' in me comming out :good:

Edited by chrispti