Can this be done (wireless networking...sort of)

agusta

I'm trying to tidy up my office network, at the moment my adsl/router is located on the second floor from which an ethernet cable is run down to the first floor and connected to a switch which supplies local network and internet connection.

What I want to do is remove the ethernet cable and have it wireless as all the ethernet carries is the adsl connection. So is it possible to purchase a wireless unit and connect that to the first floor switch (with cable) which will communicate with the adsl/router on the second floor?

So...... Internet Connection > to adsl router > adsl router sends connection to first floor device (wirelessly) > first floor device receives connection and sends to switch via a small ethernet cable.

Hope that makes sense :good:

PS. Adsl/router is wireless but isn't used as we move large files around, cable only office.

EDIT: Would a wireless bridge work?

Edited by tjmoore

Is your Router a Modem router?

From what i can tell from your post.

downstairs where the telephone line comes in you have a modem, from that you have an ethernet cable to upstairs with the Wireless Router?

Firstly, if the router upstairs is wireless then just put it downstairs next to the modem. Unless your house is very large, or you made of flint/ granite then you still should get access all round the house.

Alternatively buy a ADSL Wireless router/modem, do away with the other two boxes.

Who is your Serivce provider?

ahhhh you edited whilst i was writing.....

What wireless cards are you using, most wireless now is pretty good for moving files around. I move some serious sized files around 1gb upwards and we use wireless.

Edited by danccooke

You need to bridge your wireless routers. If you go into the settings of a router, by accessing it through your Internet browser, it'll be something like 192.168.1.1 if you don't know, look up the model on the net and find it's default address.

In the settings you should find a bridge option, where it will search for other wireless devices. You must have the other router in bridge mode as well. Just make sure you bridge the one that's not receiving the Internet connection from the telephone line. As you're trying to bridge a router that's not got Internet access to one that has.

Hope this helps. :good:

Edited by harfordwmj

Thanks for the info:

My adsl modem/router is a Linksys WAG54GS

I have a spare D-Link DWL-2000AP+ and a Netgear DG834G adsl modem which apparently can be configured as a bridge.

I'll have a go at bridging the dlink with the linksys tomorrow.

Just to confirm I want to remove the ethernet cable which connects the router to the switch and replace it with a wireless section, so router to bridge switch thingy :good:

EDIT: I take it this is the sort of thing that would work:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET54G

Edited by tjmoore

Was just about to post asking for the adsl modem/router make and model but you got in while I was typing. Good luck with setting up the bridge but be prepared for some frustrations if you are attempting to connect different manufacturer's equipment using WDS. (It's bad enough sticking with a single manufacturer!) I'd also check the firmware level on the Netgear before you start as I seem to recall that the earlier revisions had some limitations. (Details are buried in the support section on the Netgear website.)

An alternative way to go may be using Powerline Ethernet adapters. These are available from a number of manufacturers nowadays - just google 'ethernet powerline' for some examples. I haven't used them myself but all reports are that they are far easier to set up than a wireless bridge, however there may be security implications if you don't own the whole building. (Not that that isn't a consideration using wireless anyway.)

what about !!Broadband over power lines (BPL)

see click me

for what your asking to do and without complicating issues cheaply and effectively this may do if it can move the data you require # 128 Bit AES Link Encryption with Key Management for secure communication

# High-Speed transfer rates of 200 Mbps makes it possible to transfer any type of data

have a look

what about !!Broadband over power lines (BPL)

see click me

for what your asking to do and without complicating issues cheaply and effectively this may do if it can move the data you require # 128 Bit AES Link Encryption with Key Management for secure communication

# High-Speed transfer rates of 200 Mbps makes it possible to transfer any type of data

have a look

I think thats what petethegeek suggested or similar, I have looked into that but I'm unsure whether it would work if first and second floors are on separate ring circuits (which they are).