222 or 22 Hornet?

One thing I wouldn't do is buy a .222. They are on the way out, not quite as much poke as .223, and increasingly limited rifle choice. There is no situation that a .222 does that a .223 doesn't do as well or better, so why pick the triple?

would just like to ask about the above. where did you get this information that the .222 is on the way out? if you believe that then youll belive anything

Compare sales of .222 with .223 in the current climate... .223 is the main .22 CF round, followed by .22-250.

Right now, .222 has a strong following, with many enthusiasts, and a lot of people who stick up for it because they own one. I can understand that, they are similar enough that if I had a .222 I wouldn't sell it, and I would likely defend it. They are accurate, they do work, they do stop foxes to similar ranges as the .223.

But components and ammo are much more widely available for .223. Rifles are more widely available for .223. Give it some time, and the .222 will surely be relegated from mainstream through to enthusiast only, through to 'the odd one around somewhere'. Might not happen overnight due to the following it already has, but what's keeping it around nowadays?

Going by Hodgdon's figures, for both .222 and .223, you get roughly 200fps more in a .223, for 2.5 grains more powder. That seems worth it to me!

So my advice would be this - do you want to shoot foxes well and annihilate bunnies, or do you want to be about right for long range bunnies, and have medium-range, fair conditions fox capability?

I think this is the answer from Mr logic. I encounter far more long range bunnies than foxes so the Hornet seems more appropriate as well as more suitable for my terrain being in the flatlands of Lincolnshire when considering backstops and distances that high velocity rounds travel. :hmm:

Compare sales of .222 with .223 in the current climate... .223 is the main .22 CF round, followed by .22-250.

Right now, .222 has a strong following, with many enthusiasts, and a lot of people who stick up for it because they own one. I can understand that, they are similar enough that if I had a .222 I wouldn't sell it, and I would likely defend it. They are accurate, they do work, they do stop foxes to similar ranges as the .223.

But components and ammo are much more widely available for .223. Rifles are more widely available for .223. Give it some time, and the .222 will surely be relegated from mainstream through to enthusiast only, through to 'the odd one around somewhere'. Might not happen overnight due to the following it already has, but what's keeping it around nowadays?

Going by Hodgdon's figures, for both .222 and .223, you get roughly 200fps more in a .223, for 2.5 grains more powder. That seems worth it to me!

and which components would you be talking about? :hmm:

270 can be used for fox all deer and boar if you have them. the chances of getting it just for fox are slim. 22/250 is best fox cal imo

flat as a pancake and at night that works well. add a good maod and its no louder then 222 and 223.

jamie have you got something wrong with your hearing mate?:hmm::lol:

no probs getting brass, are you sure you are not getting confused with 222 rem mag or some other obscure round.you can also get factory in all the shops i have been in.

I'm going by the **** End of the Earth, or Berkshire as it's also known. We can't get **** round here! even 223 stuff is tricky. Forget .222, ammo or brass! It's right pain tbh, EVERYWHERE I go is better than here :blink:

I'm going by the **** End of the Earth, or Berkshire as it's also known. We can't get **** round here! even 223 stuff is tricky. Forget .222, ammo or brass! It's right pain tbh, EVERYWHERE I go is better than here :blink:

Fair point there Mr.L , up here the .222 is fine for lowland stalking and foxing anywhere and as such is widely distributed so I can see that other areas such as the populous SE of England will have to have, by law, larger calibres to do the 2 jobs and as such .243/6mm and up will be the tool of choice and the carts/brass/heads will be more readily available.

• 2 weeks later...