.22-250 - remmington 700ADL or Ruger M77 MK1?

keith_henson

If it is cheap and second-hand, it is because it is a dog and therefore more hassle than it is worth. Don't buy a second-hand .22-250 unless you know i) the exact history of the gun, or ii) you have access to a borescope and a professional opinion on the condition of the barrel.

Honestly, trust me on this, for two reasons: i) I made the mistake of buying a too-good-to-be-true .22-250 and it cost me a fortune to remedy the various problems the rifle came eqipped with; and ii) few owners of .22-250s run their rifles with mild loads. It is not like buying a s/h .308 or 6.5x55, where bore damage is inherently less of a risk.

Save up and buy new.

Sound advice from Baldrick there. The 22-250 barrel can easily be worn out and it can be an expensive fix, especially as any old person can sell their "excellent quality" 22-250, which has actually had 1500 scorching hot rounds through it and is burnt to shreds. The RFD aren't exactly going to fire it to check it!

I've got the Ruger in 270 and it's a great rifle, perfectly weighted. Please avoid heavy barreled rifles if you're going to use it for foxing. I rushed to buy my 22-250 and got a HV barrel and it's a heavy heavy thing to lug about.

mornign all,

im not sure why people think im going for a second hand .22-250, as anything that is having things lobbed down the barrel in excess of 4000 fps needs a new one regardless in my books :good:

I was only going for a field barrel, heavy barrels are no good for me moving through woodland and the huge amounts of orchard i manage.

So back to the original question - any advice on a .22-250, ive a budget of 800 nicker, as i alreaday have a sarvosky 8x40 scope to fit on it :D

Keith

mornign all,

im not sure why people think im going for a second hand .22-250, as anything that is having things lobbed down the barrel in excess of 4000 fps needs a new one regardless in my books :good:

I was only going for a field barrel, heavy barrels are no good for me moving through woodland and the huge amounts of orchard i manage.

So back to the original question - any advice on a .22-250, ive a budget of 800 nicker, as i alreaday have a sarvosky 8x40 scope to fit on it :D

Keith

I made the assumption that you were going for a cheap S/H rifle, because you mentioned the Ruger M77 Mark I which is effectively obsolete. Perhaps you meant the Mark II variant, or much better still, the M77 Hawkeye (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7182&return=Y)?

I would still go for a new Tikka T3 Hunter or Lite any day of the week.

I made the assumption that you were going for a cheap S/H rifle, because you mentioned the Ruger M77 Mark I which is effectively obsolete. Perhaps you meant the Mark II variant, or much better still, the M77 Hawkeye (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7182&return=Y)?

I would still go for a new Tikka T3 Hunter or Lite any day of the week.

Righto - how much am i looking at for a T3? with a wild cat mod on it :good:

Keith

I've got the Ruger in 270 and it's a great rifle, perfectly weighted. Please avoid heavy barreled rifles if you're going to use it for foxing. I rushed to buy my 22-250 and got a HV barrel and it's a heavy heavy thing to lug about.

How good are the Ruger rings at holding zero on something like a .270?

How good are the Ruger rings at holding zero on something like a .270?

Amazingly. Look closely at a picture of one in the shooting mags and you'll see the deep notch for the Ruger mounts to sit in. They'll never budge, trust me! You can't fit other mounts on it, so they've entrused their mounts which do the job beautifully!