Decoying or similar?

redtc

A bit of a newbie question, sorry.

I live close to some fields and when pigeons settle in the back garden i can pick them off. I am just using a bit of seed to attract them, but i have noticed people talking about decoying, magnets etc.

Is there something that will help encourage the birds to land in my patch?

If that is the answer how do these decoys work?

Cheers

Redtc

A bit of a newbie question, sorry.

I live close to some fields and when pigeons settle in the back garden i can pick them off. I am just using a bit of seed to attract them, but i have noticed people talking about decoying, magnets etc.

Is there something that will help encourage the birds to land in my patch?

If that is the answer how do these decoys work?

Cheers

Redtc

By using seed you are outwith the general licence for shooting pigeon(either feral or wood) and it is inadvisable, in an urban area, to shoot in your garden.

I seriously don't think you need to decoy pigeons into your garden...

Anyway, it is actually illegal for you to shoot a pigeon, unless you can prove that the species is causing damage to your crop (Not sure you'd have one of those in your back garden) and that you have exhausted every other means of pest control, by means of scarecrows, audible bird scarers or any other non-lethal methods.

Sorry to be a kill joy on this one... I would say that you'll be fine shooting them, but recently people have been getting in trouble for shooting pigeons in their garden.

Interesting. So if i had permission from the farmer, i can step over the fence and bags the same pigeons, but it would be considered "legal"!

Anyway out of my curiosity how do the decoys work?

You're not allowed to bait pigeons with food either! Decoying is fine along with roost shooting.

Decoys work by giving passing pigeons the impression the field they're set up in is a food source and encourages in.

Interesting. So if i had permission from the farmer, i can step over the fence and bags the same pigeons, but it would be considered "legal"!

Anyway out of my curiosity how do the decoys work?

I theory, yes, as farmers will always be trying to scare pigeons and other pests away, so as long as you have room to shoot a shotgun or safe backstops for a rifle, then yes.

In a sentence, decoying (pigeons) is where you use either plastic 'decoys' which are plastic pigeons that convince living pigeons that there's food, or use real dead pigeons and lay them out to create the same effect

fullbodiedpigeon.gif

When they're placed in a 'pattern' usually a horseshoe shape of about 40 yards in diamater, they attract hungry pigeons to land and you can then shoot them. It is far easier to decoy with a shotgun, as sometimes pigeons spook as they get near the pattern, as they sense something isn't right, or they see you in your hide.

Have a look at this video and hopefully it should give you an idea:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by harfordwmj