GET BACK command

darren m

i thought my pup was coming on ok since she had got over the phantom .

been teaching the get back command on a 6/8 foot wide grass foot path for a while and she seemed to grasped that going back that bit further would find her the dummy.

anyways i,m not so sure now , all this week , i,ve been trying to get her to go back on command in an open field ( after i,ve placed a dummy there ) but shes just not getting it , shes learning left and right ok , but get back leaves her running round like a wally :lol: .

i,ve also noticed that where she used to look at me for a command and direction shes been trying to work it out her self ( ie . like shes saying i know its here somewhere dont worry i,ll find it eventually :yes: ).

so anyways lads firstly i need tips and ideas on getting the get back command through to her so she,ll know to at least go back further and hopefully in the right direction :no:

What do you all do to teach this

Are you trying to send her to a dummy that she has not seen placed? or do you walk her on the lead, drop the dummy and walk her away and then try sending her back?

If you are doing the first example then try doing the second. If you are doing the second then cut the distance down, even to about 10 feet if necessary and make sure she can see the dummy at all times.

It sounds like she doesn't really trust you and it could be that if she has failed to get the retrieve a couple of times she is beginning to think there is nothing there.

Also, to start with until she's 100% with it all, try training along a fence line / thin path / hallway with a nice visible retrieve until she FULLY understands that "BACK" means "go away from me in a straight line". This may take weeks.

As MC suggests, once she trusts you 100% to guide her to a definate retrieve every time, then is the time to start trying it blind.

Are you trying to send her to a dummy that she has not seen placed? or do you walk her on the lead, drop the dummy and walk her away and then try sending her back?

If you are doing the first example then try doing the second. If you are doing the second then cut the distance down, even to about 10 feet if necessary and make sure she can see the dummy at all times.

It sounds like she doesn't really trust you and it could be that if she has failed to get the retrieve a couple of times she is beginning to think there is nothing there.

the 1st one mate unseen dummy , sometimes i plant them on the pathway before i get her out of the car , or drop one when shes pre-occupied with fetching a dummy shes seen me through . i never let her see the get backs / blinds .

i,ll try it the other way round <_< for a week see if it clicks .

ok - so your saying leave her on the lead and let her SEE the dummy being dropped , walk on , sit her up , walk on in front and give her the command back :P .

i,ll start that tonight :hmm:

is there anything else that might help.

thanks lads

Basically Yes,

It is known as a seen blind.

Keep her on the lead, walk to a clear spot and drop the dummy, wait for a second or so and then walk back to where you started. take her off the lead and cast her off using your hand as a guide and use the "get back" command. I use "GET OUT" and then drive him further by saying out, out, out every couple of seconds and then call "LOST" when he is near the dummy even if it is plain as day to see.

I have used this technique and as long as there is a retrieve at the end of it I can send my springer out to probably 150 yards seen or unseen.

The key to the success of this technique is she must find the retrieve. And learn to trust you.

You can add another trick to your arsenal to give her confidence

in your! ability. Out of her sight seed your intended path with several

dummies well concealed ideally downwind so you are walking her

towards and she cannot catch wind of them.Cast her off as you get level

and then direct her into the correct area repeat the process a few days

later and she'll soon get the idea that you are 'in the know' then you can

integrate this into the "get/go back" command for blind retrieves.

Hi i see in your posts you say get back & go back what do you use as you should use only one of the commands all the time & the normal for this retrieve is go back with a hand signal from beside your ear pushed out with a flat palm as if shooting a basket at basket ball.

I start this kind of training by heeling the dog & sitting it at heel & throw the dummy 10ft in front. I then heel the dog & turn 180deg & walk back 10-20ft & sit the dog. I then move myself only 5ft in front of the dog & give the go back verbal with hand signal. & it can take take a few attemps till the dog gets it then as it learns you progress the distance slowly over a week of this.

Once you i have the dog doing what you want i then sit the dog 20ft in front facing me & throw 3 dummys ie right,left & behind the dog & give the dog go back & give it the righ & lefts aswell but at diffrent intervils & i give 1 in 3 or 1in 4 retrieve's.

thanks guys

MC - of course its the seen blind , i should of known that i,m such a **** :good: , i had used it before with my lab years ago but for some reason i just missed it out :hmm:

V-max - i used the words "get back" but i may change that to "get out" now -- reason for that is i often use the word "ACK" sharpley when i want her to stop doing something ie. like pulling forward when i,m healing her or if i think she,s going to move when i,m throughing dummies around her for steadiness or she might bolt for a rabbit that sort of thing .

so i,m glad you bought it up , its made me think :good:

so if we/she gets this right i should be able to increase the distantance gradually to get her out in a straight line to most distances??? :good:

cheers ;)

Yes,

Once you have built up her confidence that you ARE actually sending her to pick something up you will be able to send her as far as you like. The secret to it is success, if she finds something everytime you send her she will think this is great fun. never let her fail, if she is struggling to find a dummy go and help her. Point to it, say "Whats this?" and the moment she goes to pick it up back away so she has to bring it to you.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about distance at the moment, max of 20 yards and two or three times a day to keep her interested.