New gun, first scratch...........= prat

ziplex

Don't worry, i've been hard enough on myself already, so you can keep the comments to yourselves. The access to my cabinet is a little confined and whilst taking the gun out last night I banged the stock on the inside of the door/lock. Result is a small but noticable scratch/dent about 5mm long on the top of the stock, now i'm sure i've read somewhere about using an iron to steam small dents out? Can't seem to find it using search, anyone advise please?

Take a sheet of newspaper and tear off a piece @ 6inches square. Fold it like a fan until you have @ half a dozen thicknesses and then wet it.

Place it on the ding and then place a very hot copper soldering iron on the paper. The super hot steam will pass through the paper and into the wood swelling the grain. Move the paper around keeping it wet and if necessary use new bits of paper, but do make sure that it is always wet so as not to scorch the wood. This is only appropriate if the stock has an oil finish. A polyurethane finish may go a bit funny.

G.M.

being a ex cabinet maker this can work, but only if the ding is very shallow. I found the best method is to soak a thin cloth or several layers of andrex, place over the dent then place the tip of the iron on the paper/cloth and let the steam bring the dent out.

Again only try this on an oil finish, the other **** they put on stocks will go funny with the heat!

Yep it worked for me on a stock that got hit by a bit of clay,it was quiet a deep dent and the suface of the wood had a small split in it,(i'd heard it only works if the wood is'nt split)

I used kitchen towel,and and the tip of the mrs iron,(keep the towel wet) it took quiet a few goes ,and because the wood had cracked I could still see were it had been dented,but it realy did improve it a lot.

All the best Mick.

This is a bit like closing the stable door but......

I bought an off cut of carpet underlay and used this to pad as many of the edges as I could, its very plyable so will bend round most things, liberal dabs of araldite hold the lot. Even usd it to pad the inside of the safe at the places where the barrels might rest.

Hope you get the dent out.......

This is a bit like closing the stable door but......

I bought an off cut of carpet underlay and used this to pad as many of the edges as I could, its very plyable so will bend round most things, liberal dabs of araldite hold the lot. Even usd it to pad the inside of the safe at the places where the barrels might rest.

Hope you get the dent out.......

:angry: Top idea. :no:

I have always done something similar with my gun cabinets, but I use carpet tiles (easier to manouver inside the cabinet).

You can usually get a few "end of line" cheapies at your local carpet shop.

Tryed the folded paper/iron approach and it's much less noticeable now so that's good :angry: . I've already give some thought to the inside of the cabinet and intend to place some foam self adhesive strips where needed, the washing basket that was interfering with the door has had a good kicking too so I feel better for that :( , and the missus has been blamed, oh how dangerously we live :no: