Disastrous Day

markbjones01

Left my house in Hampshire yesterday morning in my 97 frontera to pick up my daughter in devon. a 350 mile round trip, got down there ok by mid morning, quick cuppa and chat with ex then off we set.

got 20 miles and the (apparently) head gasket blew and over pressured the coolant system blowing out the radiator, eventually got green flag to come after walking miles to get a phone signal and towed to town so we could catch train home got in just before midnight.

the quandary im in is that my car is over 130+ miles away and he quoted about 750 to mend it, well im sure its only worth 600 ish so matter of economics suggest I should scrap it however funds are seriously tight at the moment and not sure whats best to do any ideas ?

Like you say "matter of economics" scrap is terrible at the minute if you was going to "cube it I think it's at about £90 a tonne . Depending on the condition inside and out .Would be better going to a 4x4 breaker . Or a Vauxhall breaker. But then again u need to find a local one to the location of your truck . And once they no your not local theyv sortov got you by the nakers ! I hope you get it sorted pal

Yeah break it. My old renault I was offered £120 in scrap value, I broke it amd sold parts on ebay and made £2500

Wow! Amazing.

It does take time breaking a car, but it's not particularly difficult to take bits apart and give them a good clean up and sell on.

I done this a while back with a motorbike I crashed, I managed to get it back from insurers and stripped everything and whatever was fine was sold - a few parts sold overtook the scrap value and then everything else is extra!

Why didn`t Green Flag take you and the car home?

On two occasions I have been loaded on a transporter and taken several hundred miles to my destination

The first :- I broke down on the M5 near the Mendips, Green Flag put the car on a transporter hooked the caravan up and took me to a caravan site near Plymouth.

The second:- I was involved in a collision close to junction 12 M6 . Green flag again picked up the car hooked up the caravan took me home to Millom that's 40 miles after leaving the M6 at J36.