Novice after advice re morning or afternoon...

jamez79

Hi,

I've got permission to shoot over a pea crop and will be going for the first time next week. I am a novice to decoying and have been reading as much as I can on here. However I can't find advice on the best time of day to go and get set up for a morning or afternoon session.

I gather there is no definitive answer, but would just like to know what sort of time to get there in the morning or afternoon so I'm not arriving too late or far too early in the day. I'm in the midlands if that assists.

Many thanks in advance,

James

Guest stevo

Where abouts in the Midlands james?

I can see now , I was on my phone and your location didn't show . no matter

as Jdog says ..... go watch it . your the only one who will know when there there mate

Edited by stevo

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I do intend to go watch the fields, but was just wondering if there was a 'peak' time as I didn't want to go sit in the field at 6am if the birds don't start coming over until 10am. For example.

Is afternoon generally better than mornings? I work shifts so am just trying to work out dates for my diary to plan around family life, work etc.

I'm in South Staffs.

Thanks

The only way you will learn is just to go and sit up and watch and that may be from 6am to 8pm. I probably spend more time watching than shooting.

By the way most dedicated pigeon shooters have no family life, no social life and when they are at work they think of nothing other than pigeon shooting.

Edited by JDog

Guest stevo

the birds can hit that field at time , that's of course if they have found it , you will have to watch that field to see if they are hitting it , just because there are peas there don't think for one min that its going to a sure thing , I have loads of peas around me but the birds will rather spend there days on spring rape ( around here )

what stage are your peas at ?

stevo

Guest stevo

take a flask with you :good: don't go just the once , have a few trips out and watch , but most of all mate enjoy yourself watching is the name of the game .

The only way you will learn is just to go and sit up and watch and that may be from 6am to 8pm. I probably spend more time watching than shooting.

By the way most dedicated pigeon shooters have no family life, no social life and when they are at work they think of nothing other than pigeon shooting.

Agreed totally with the first bit and as for the second bit I pretty much missed my kids growing up because every spare hour would be spent either shooting or looking for oppertunities to shoot dont have a clue why the mrs put up with it but she did bless her. I don't go out anywhere near as much now maybe once or twice a month instead of 2 or 3 times a week.

Agreed totally with the first bit and as for the second bit I pretty much missed my kids growing up because every spare hour would be spent either shooting or looking for oppertunities to shoot dont have a clue why the mrs put up with it but she did bless her. I don't go out anywhere near as much now maybe once or twice a month instead of 2 or 3 times a week.

It was meant 'tongue in cheek'.

If Jamez79 doesn't get into the habit of looking for himself rather than relying on this forum or the Gamekeeper he will not learn very much.

I understand what you mean JDog and I have every intention of going to look for myself. I just wondered if there was a "general" routine that pigeons loosely followed so I could organise my free time better.

Working full time doing shifts, have two young children (2 and 3yrs) and the wife who also works different shifts it can sometimes be a bit tricky finding time, so thought I would ask a question to find out.

I'd feel a bit of a wally, if I'd sat in a field all day only to find out that there was a pigeon routine and could've established that by just posting a question on a forum.

I'm a complete novice, I don't know so just thought I would ask.

I will go and watch and when I go shooting, I will watch some more and try to learn the trade so to speak.

Best regards

James

it takes a bit of guts to say on a forum that you are a complete novice...other forums you would be shot to pieces......lot of good advice there .....but everybody agrees....WATCH THE FIELDS....keep an eye on the times and get to know the life/routine of the pigeon................and when you think you have got it sussed....they will change !!

dont be afraid to ask questions...there a lot of people on here with many years experience shooting pigeon, for them it is a religion..........and even now they will admit they dont always get it right.................if you got i right all of the time it would be boring !!

all the best

Generally birds ,any birds will like to feed at first light and again later in the afternoon or nearer last light . Pigeons will feed in the summer months at first light and again from about midday until they go up to roost.

There was a time when I would pigeon shoot from first light until about 10am ,go home for breakfast and return at about 2pm until dusk . Now I prefer to go out at about midday until I have had enough ,that's in the summer months . In the winter months from first light until I have had enough or I get to cold .

Harnser