Gun fitting

Markt3815

Gun fit is one thing , learning to shoot is another .Often one needs to come first . What annoys me is that a "shooting instructor " advises a customer to have a gun fitted but is unable to say what needs to be done .

Can I suggest that you change your Instructor then ?

I have had 2 guns actually fitted (i.e. altered for me) and 3 more shot under the fitters eye to check fit. One (a s/s sidelock) of the fits was inclusive in the price of the gun. The other (an o/u) if I remember right was £60 for the fitting and rather more (£120 I think) to adjust the bend, cast and stand out of the (sidelock) gun.

The 3 checked (2 x o/u and 1 x s/s) all have VERY similar dimensions to the finished fitted guns.

Another gun I would like to have altered, but two different gunmakers independently advised that to add cast would carry a high risk of problems - not because I need all that much cast, but because the gun in question is a s/s with a pistol grip and a single trigger. That combination is thick (in the hand area due to the pistol grip) where the bend is needed and thin (a lot hollowed internally) where no bend should change. I was advised to consider comb alterations instead, but have not to date acted on that.