New Drilling

Buck  Hunter

Morning Folks,

The farmer I shoot for has recently drilled rape straight into the wheat stubble would this be a good shooting ground or is it best to stay on the old rape stubble, looking to get out this afternoon and un decided on the best place to set up as recently birds a very few and far between here in Suffolk.

Thanks Sam

The rotation is usually rape after barley not wheat. Which ever it is the pigeons will not go for the newly drilled seed as it will be too deep in the soil. They may however go for the seeds still left over from this years harvest.

Plenty of farms here drill rape through wheat stubble JDog , I do agree however that you are unlikely to bag many pigeons on drilled rape.

Well... there wasn't many options due to a tractor on the rape stubble so set up on the drilling bagged 16 in a couple of hours loads of birds on the field when I arrived but only returned very slowly thanks for the replys guys.

Gave me a chance to use the new gun and have an enjoyable afternoon off work :)

Round our way the wheat was harvested, straw baled and now fields turned - last evening loads of pigeon and blacks, but too close to the roads to shoot - all in a couple of days. Even if it was shootable you would have recced and then foung naff all when you got time off.

Bad times there matey !