Flapper on/off timings?

camojohn

My current timer is not adjustable, but I have been experimenting with a remote on/off connected to timer. I find the flapper is most useful in catching the attention of the pigeon, and especially so if for boundary or other reasons you can't get on the field/line the birds want. For me the best results come from about 4/5 flaps, the same as a pigeon landing, then stop until the bird has either committed or ignored the pattern. If the pigeon don't commit, sometimes a few more flaps as they're flying away will turn them. I have days like other PW guys when the flapper scares them, but generally I find it worth carrying. When we used to pull a string with a mechanical flapper a few flaps and stop did the trick. I would be interested in your timer, don't fancy forking out another £20 from a supplier.All the best.

My home made timer is a bit of a lash-up. I purchased a small time circuit online, but it turned out to be either on or off and not cycle. Anyway I purchased another one the same and joined the two together. I have since found another circuit online that does on/off all in one for about £8.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLIC-TIMER-SWITCH-10A-Delay-ON-Off-Switch-12V-TIME-ON-1-700s-OFF-1-300s-Repeat-/221270377713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3384be04f1

You will need 2 wires for you battery, 2 wires for your flapper. you will also need 1 extra wire to link the battery terminal on the circuit to the middle relay terminal.

post-65971-0-63505500-1410518378_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My home made timer is a bit of a lash-up. I purchased a small time circuit online, but it turned out to be either on or off and not cycle. Anyway I purchased another one the same and joined the two together. I have since found another circuit online that does on/off all in one for about £8.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLIC-TIMER-SWITCH-10A-Delay-ON-Off-Switch-12V-TIME-ON-1-700s-OFF-1-300s-Repeat-/221270377713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3384be04f1

You will need 2 wires for you battery, 2 wires for your flapper. you will also need 1 extra wire to link the battery terminal on the circuit to the middle relay terminal.

Many thanks for that John. Was a great help