Cold Calling...Can Work!

Elk hunter

Those's who have followed my hunting threads will know that I like stuffing and mounting crow ect. Well since my brother and other friends have moved the livestock indoors, my supply of corvids has disappeared apart from the odd unlucky one.

But once a week I go butchering for a farmer and pass a large beef plant where no animal ever goes out to grass. But it aways has an abundance of rooks and crows around the feed lots. On monday at 8am must have been in excess of hundred all feeding with more flying in. I've kept meaning to find out who owns it for an age. But I've never in my 42 years had to cold call for shooting as I've either used families land or friends and colleagues.

Well when finished my jobs I nipped in to the farm house for coffee and asked about the feed lot up the road. They knew of the owner and had dealings with him, but no contact details to hand. I needed to find the owners phone number when home. Left and headed home, on passing I saw a vehicle at the feed station. ****** it! U turn and pulled in

It was the owner Andrew, introduced myself, told him who I was, where I got his name from and what I was after. I was honest about the fact my family have land and who my father was, farm ect. Well couldn't have gone better, chatted over 30 mins about how my grandfather showed him how to shear sheep, the land my brother out bid him on and so on.

He went on to tell me used to have a chap come and shoot regularly but just stopped coming and not seen him in a couple of years.

"how many birds you after" he asked

"just a few a week" I replied

"O thought you wanted the lot, well couple a good start"

Time I left permission was given when ever I wanted to go, just pull my van in and fill my boots.

For a newbie to permission seeking I've learnt one thing, cold calling does work.............BUT it does help to have an ace up your sleeve and the odd contact or name to drop in.

Andrew.

Im hoping there's rat too!

You did well Elk Hunter.

I intend to use a combination of cold calling and 'calling cards' when I get to the Lincolnshire Wolds at the end of March in an attempt to get some land over which I can shoot pigeons. Unlike you there will be no contacts to rely on as I do not know a single person up there as yet but I will be undaunted.

My calling cards will have my name and address and all of my contact details on them and a brief resume of my knowledge of agricultural matters, experience in the shooting field, insurance details etc. There will be no reference to my shooting abilities whatever they may be. I also intend to have as a backdrop to the text a picture of a large bag of pigeons and in this connection I will be asking PC if he can crop himself out of one of the many photos he has with huge numbers of pigeons and send it to me for my own use.

In the Cotswolds I have rarely been turned down when I have enquired about pigeon shooting. Those Lincolnshire farmers may be a different proposition.