Some advice please

countryman

My sister who was terminally ill passed away, i used to take her little Chihuahua out for her when she became bed bound, i promised her that i would give him a home when the time came, my problem is that my Jack Russel who is 12 and all so a boy will not leave him alone, he keeps trying to mount him, nether of them have been castrated, the Chihuahua is 3 years old. My Jack Russel has all ways lived on his own with us and he was all ways fine walking with the other one but inside he just does not like him there. I understand that its his place and all that but what can i do to bring peace back in the home again, would getting the new one Castrated help.

Thanks

Chris

He's doing the dominant bit. At least he is not attacking him, then you would have probs. You should be the one in charge and make sure the Chihuahua comes last in the pecking order for things, that way your JR should get the message that alls well. Give it time for everything to settle down.

Yes my Jack is defiantly saying i am over you, the problem is he keeps enforcing it, the new one is not one of those handbag size Chihuahuas, he is the size of a small Jack Russel, he has backed off all the time but i think hes getting to the point ware he has had enough of it, its only been a week so yes hopefully it will settle down.

Chris

i hope things settle for you to, like you say its early days. see what time will bring . one will become the dom, and i think that is for them to sort out . hey in a few weeks they coud become best pals . i am sure if the new fellow had to go, your sister would have forgiven you, for you have tried your best and you would be putting the dog first and its well beign good luck give it a little more time.

Yes he has large collection of balls in a basket, he will take one out now and again to play with, the other one has not gone for them yet, as i type trouble has kicked off again with my Jack constantly hassling him and barking at him, the wife has given the other one a good bath see if it has taken any scent of him but no difference.

Chris

Ok. Take all the Jack Russell's toys/balls off him. Only allow him supervised playtime with you with one toy and end it when you say so. Put the toy away. Don't allow him to 'resource hoard/ guard any as this increases their need to guard and can lead to aggression. Don't forget that just because the little dog isn't showing any interest in his space/ toys it doesn't mean he's not still guarding them from her/him. This also strengthens the feeling of you being higher in the hierarchy and also He from whence All Good Things Come.

If he has the run of the house stop letting him but don't give the little one special treatment either. Where does he sleep? Where / when does he eat? Sorry for inquisition!

Edited by bigbird

They sleep in separate rooms and have no access to each other at night, at the moment when it gets bad we are putting the little one back in the room where he sleeps to separate them, the same when we go out and leave them. They are fed separate in the rooms they sleep in, To day has been extra bad with my Jack just running him around the house trying to corner him to mount him, the little one is growling back but my jack takes no notice, to make matters worse my wife has really taken to the little fella and brought him new collar, lead, tags ect so its not going to be easy to part with him if this keeps going on, before the little one turned up my Jack was very laid back and slept a lot of the time, hes now started pumping things which he has not done for years.

Chris

Hmmm bit of a catch22 then :/ JR humps unwanted usurper, unwanted usurper gets put in a separate room = happy Jack Russell. Totally understand you have no choice for fear of a full on fight. However sometimes a scrap is what's needed to sort things out. I have 12 dogs including two jack Russells and they all coexist, some inside, most outside but they all eat together at the same time in the porch at mealtimes peacefully. People are always amazed when they see it lol. Sure they have the odd spat but they have to be allowed to do it so they know where they're at. I'd never condone a dog fight, ever, but sometimes you just have to let dogs be dogs - believe me, when the new dog has had enough he'll let your dog know!

Best of luck !

Edited by bigbird