first time out with the AYA xxv sl

Well after a trip to the gunsmith today to checkout my not very bad pits on my new shotty, despite still having a loose striker i grabbed myself a couple of boxes of Hull imperial game in 28gram no7 as the wife had just text to say she planned on going shopping for the afternoon. With that i decided to pop over to a little farm near to me for a couple of hours.

There was the odd woodie around their usual wooded haunt so quickly grabbed some deeks out out of the van and within ten mins i was ready having hid myself in a little bush thats one of natures natural hides.

Ten miniutes later and with my first shot bagged a woodie. Shortly followed by a pair of crossers, second shot of the day woodie number two killed stone dead at 30 yds. Missed its partner though as i was exoecting to need a second go at the first.

It went pretty quite after that with the wind dropping they were tending to be following the road rather than the hedgeline i was in. What did suprise me was the amount of pairs of rock doves decoying, atleast 20 over the next hour most of them landing into my pattern. This pulled the odd woodie over towards me but with only three comming close enough for a hopefull chance at range and me missimg two and hitting the third, maybe a little to challanging for me!

Still the AyA handled like a dream, its spot on fit makes for confidance in instinct shooting up and bang. And those hull cartridges where very comfortable to shoot,i will definately be using these from october on my game shoot.

Still a very enjoyable couple of hours, very pleased with the gun and i think it might have a few more trips out before the game season :)

You are lucky that you are able to shoot well with the gun as they are quick to start, i.e onto the target quickly, but also quick to stop, so need to consciously follow through, maintain lead or whatever means that you use for forward allowance. Great guns for walked up and snap shooting, but take some getting used to for longer ranges, but if you shoot well and have confidence in it, that's half the battle and all the joy of ownership. Gunfit being the most important factor, but confidence a close second.

I used an AYA 25 boxlock for years, bought new for £450 (that long ago), so can appreciate what great guns they are. Over the years my eye dominance changed without me realising it and my shooting suffered. Thought it was the gun so sold it and have regretted it ever since. Should have sought the advice of a shooting school at the time, probably would still be using the AYA now.

With 25 inch barrels being slightly out of fashion, some great bargains can be had at the moment, as I think you have already discovered.

I have always shot with SxSs being of an age having started shooting before O/Us were popular, although I have a 20 bore O/U and shoot reasonably well with it ( for me anyway) , always prefer to take out one of the SxSs.

I am sure that you will continue to enjoy shooting your AYA, so best of luck.

This thread has now renewed my interest in the AYA 25, only wish that I could afford one, but my pension says otherwise !!

I love mine its all i have used since.

Bit of a suprise when i took it the shop to check the pitting checked though.

The chap was looking at and complimenting the gun then then vanished for a few minuites. Upon his return he had in his hand an old brown book, a few pages were turned then he smiles and says he sold the very gun to a Mr B in 1973 brand new for £185 along side a 20b same model for the chaps wife. I asked how he knew, He recognised his shop number that was stamped inside the fore end.

Edited by Jay_Russell