Steel shot

-ben-

Ounce and a quarter No 1 are the way to go for geese in steel, will kill cleanly to 50 yards, maybe a yard or two further.

BB's lose pattern at about 45 - 47 yards or thereabouts even with a 42g load.

I like BB for geese. The pattern may not be great, but i suppose that depends on a number of factors. I use extra full choke, and find the patterns plenty good enough.

agree with you, bought 3's 36g xpress, wont be buying again, did mistake and bought quite few. Shot few geese, as you mentioned they did knock them down but most of them were alive had to put another shot to put them down. Think around 46g + bb/2's be best for geese...? that is what am thinking to buy in near future as am left with couple boxes of 3's now

I think most think that way but honestly 36 grm of the bigger shot is easier to shoot far cheaper shorter string and came within s pleats or two of the heavier 43 grm loads during my own patterning

I have a few super mags to use up once they are gone thier gone though am going 3" in the 12 and just changing shot sizes this year

agree with you, bought 3's 36g xpress, wont be buying again, did mistake and bought quite few. Shot few geese, as you mentioned they did knock them down but most of them were alive had to put another shot to put them down. Think around 46g + bb/2's be best for geese...? that is what am thinking to buy in near future as am left with couple boxes of 3's now

As you say BBs are a better shot size for geese , however 36gr xpress are not a patch on Gamebore mammoths in any shot size. Of the UK cartridges Gamebore are one of the best steel shells , very close to be on a par with the best of American cartridges. RC are pretty good and though I have only fired a couple others tell me that they like Eley Lightnings. I have not bought xpress for several years , but the last ones I bought were pretty poor failing to kill much over 35 yards.