Another First for Conor

6.5x55SE

Last night yet again I checked a local River close to home for any flood water Bingo at long last flood water as good as it gets but the bad news with frost with freezing conditions the shooting could be ruined before it got started. I stuck around to see what if any Duck came in as normal they arrived right on last knockings. Mallard Widgeon Teal and half dozen bunches of Gadwall something Conor had never shot but had missed a pair at a different flooded river location.

Weather was not good for Geese so Conor asked can we try for Deer in the morning then try for a Gadwall at night. Game on this morning i shot two Fallow from a small group whilst Conor shot a Muntjac a good start to our plans. At 4.40pm we left for the River with me trying not to disappoint Conor by saying i think our luk has run out as the water will be frozen. Reaching the bank then looking over my heart sank as apart from two small places it was froze.

With the water only ankle deep at worst half way up my welly's i walked about breaking the thin ice. A single Greylag nearly gave Conor a shot with the Moon shining and nice cloud i told Conor if any Duck came they would be late sure enough when even I was thinking the ice had ruined our Chance's two Mallard came sadly these along with a single then five Gadwall was missed by Conor.

Hearing Gadwall I said Nothing this time apart from get ready under the Moon over the water inside i willed and pray at least one would fall Conor's first shot Balled a Duck he never fired a second with a loud Yeeees get in there Conor your done it. As we both waited for the younger Lab to retrieve the Duck Conor was are you sure its a Gadwall !!!!!! Thankfully my ear's had not let me down as I took a cracking Drake Gadwall from my Lab. As expected the Duck came spasmodically with Conor getting two more Gadwall a Widgeon a Teal whilst i due to many years experience shooting Ducks in moonlight shot seven Widgeon two Gadwall and two Mallard.

Last night yet again I checked a local River close to home for any flood water Bingo at long last flood water as good as it gets but the bad news with frost with freezing conditions the shooting could be ruined before it got started. I stuck around to see what if any Duck came in as normal they arrived right on last knockings. Mallard Widgeon Teal and half dozen bunches of Gadwall something Conor had never shot but had missed a pair at a different flooded river location.

Weather was not good for Geese so Conor asked can we try for Deer in the morning then try for a Gadwall at night. Game on this morning i shot two Fallow from a small group whilst Conor shot a Muntjac a good start to our plans. At 4.40pm we left for the River with me trying not to disappoint Conor by saying i think our luk has run out as the water will be frozen. Reaching the bank then looking over my heart sank as apart from two small places it was froze.

With the water only ankle deep at worst half way up my welly's i walked about breaking the thin ice. A single Greylag nearly gave Conor a shot with the Moon shining and nice cloud i told Conor if any Duck came they would be late sure enough when even I was thinking the ice had ruined our Chance's two Mallard came sadly these along with a single then five Gadwall was missed by Conor.

Hearing Gadwall I said Nothing this time apart from get ready under the Moon over the water inside i willed and pray at least one would fall Conor's first shot Balled a Duck he never fired a second with a loud Yeeees get in there Conor your done it. As we both waited for the younger Lab to retrieve the Duck Conor was are you sure its a Gadwall !!!!!! Thankfully my ear's had not let me down as I took a cracking Drake Gadwall from my Lab. As expected the Duck came spasmodically with Conor getting two more Gadwall a Widgeon a Teal whilst i due to many years experience shooting Ducks in moonlight shot seven Widgeon two Gadwall and two Mallard.

I like to read about your exploits with your grandson, It is clear that both of you benefit from the outings. My son was never really interested in shooting as a sport (even though he went in the Royal Marines and Iraq) so he didnt go out with me. I now have two granddaughters so I doubt they will get into shooting sports either so I envy you having Conor to accompany you and hopefuly learn the "tricks of the trade"

The pleasure that kids and grandkids can give is immeasurable.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

H