That's it then, for another year.

Scully

The driven season goes by in the blink of an eye unfortunately and we had our syndicate dinner last night where the local 'aristocrat' ( and I mean that with affection ) became emotional as usual during his thank you speech after receiving his annual gift from us for allowing us to use his land.

Not many shots yesterday but in amongst the few I had was the bird of my season on the very last drive; a rapidly crossing wind driven hen which folded up in the air and crashed down in the raspberry canes, and the part time 'keeper killed a fox we had seen several times during the season on the first drive ( assuming it was the same one ) and we presented a full time 'keeper and syndicate member with a photograph of it as a reminder of what they looked like ( he claimed it was always just out of range whenever he'd come across it ) and we finished the season with 168 birds from 350 released.

It's not about numbers; for me it's time spent in the company of good people with an abundance of laughs and occasional good shooting is time well spent.

I could,t agree more,our last driven day yesterday,half a gale &wet snow, a few of us brave souls will be out in A/M, then thats it , I might get a trip to the bay next week & then the roof box & its contents of decoys, hides etc. off.& truck valeted ready for off to the states for 3 weeks. The highlight of my year has been watching my young Fox Red Lab Roxy develop. As you say good safe company & good Craic. Work parties start on my return,then ride cutting & complaining of the heat & midges, then seeing the young birds arrive ,& watching them grow,A barbeque & clay shoot then Sept.1 will come round again.It will come round.Best to you & all like minded souls.