mildot vs duplex

Sorry but a straight forward duplex and dialling once you have your bullet's measured MV is way more accurate than any ranging ret and SFP scopes are fine (a decent quality SFP scope and Duplex which holds zero at any mag). Too many people watching too many you tube videos LoL! People forget that even with ranging rests YOU STILL NEED TO KNOW your bullets POI at all ranges, something that is overlooked time and time again and winds me up no end when talking about ranging rets. There's absolutely nothing wrong with BDC scopes either, and absolutely nothing wrong with the precision that a decent SFP scope will give you. You just use the mag suited to your bullet/rifle combo IF using a ranging ret. At most ranges UK shooters deal with, BDC is probably more useful than mildot as is duplex/dial. Practised, it can be rapid enough. The arguments for and against are, though, less important than what you behind the trigger are most practised with and most effective with.

That just about sums it up :yes:

Checking drops at ranges, making a note of the inches, comparing to the drops in clicks, checking the clicks to POI, cross referencing and confirming is better than guestimating what the drops are via lines or dots on the scope.

At 1100yds I was 1 MOA out from my maths that I had worked out from 650 yards. :)

Mildot was developed for range finding and an emergency battle dope. Not accurate long range shooting

I find it confusing and inaccurate. If I need to take a shot without dialing ( as I never now do with 22 lr) I know the dope in inches wind estimate and drop so I just aim off that amount.

Shooting long range centrefire I always dial in or hold if it's a quick fix situation

My mate shoots with am over complex and different reticule on each of his rifles and misses ( a lot on longer shots) he doesn't know the dope so cannot adjust for 1/2 and 1/4 allowances etc.

Most of all Christmas tree reticules confuse and distract the shooter focusing his mind on the point of aim so well imo

I don't like them

In addition you must magnify to a preset for most mildots(some are 10x some are higher) that can be a deal breaker in night shooting to have a higher magnification and less light gathering. I dial up and use an accurate laser along with copious practice. Longest field shot was 520 yds on a sleeping Coyote.

In addition you must magnify to a preset for most mildots(some are 10x some are higher) that can be a deal breaker in night shooting to have a higher magnification and less light gathering. I dial up and use an accurate laser along with copious practice. Longest field shot was 520 yds on a sleeping Coyote.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

So what's stopping anyone doing that with a Mildot?

Sorry but a straight forward duplex and dialling once you have your bullet's measured MV is way more accurate than any ranging ret and SFP scopes are fine (a decent quality SFP scope and Duplex which holds zero at any mag). Too many people watching too many you tube videos LoL! People forget that even with ranging rests YOU STILL NEED TO KNOW your bullets POI at all ranges, something that is overlooked time and time again and winds me up no end when talking about ranging rets. There's absolutely nothing wrong with BDC scopes either, and absolutely nothing wrong with the precision that a decent SFP scope will give you. You just use the mag suited to your bullet/rifle combo IF using a ranging ret. At most ranges UK shooters deal with, BDC is probably more useful than mildot as is duplex/dial. Practised, it can be rapid enough. The arguments for and against are, though, less important than what you behind the trigger are most practised with and most effective with.

What are you talking about?

-second focal plane scopes are only true to scale at one power, that's the MASSIVE problem with them.

-BDC reticles are based on averages not truly accurate to your particular load etc. but still good enough in most cases to hit a fox I'd imagine.

-dialling with a duplex is a perfectly good way to shoot, but no more accurate than holding with a ranging ret, ITS THE SAME THING.

By the way, how quick can you dial in the ever changing wind with your ever so versatile duplex ret?

Btw, I do like duplex rets a lot, they're just not very useful.

Edited by Guest

If you re-read what was actually written instead of just being insulting: what was said was that SFP are fine for most distances we shoot at and they can be set at the one ranging mag so I don't really see the problem. I am very well aware that they are only true to scale at one range so granny and eggs! So what if they cannot be used at all mags? For hunting, many are way too fine to be used at lower magnifications so you end up losing field of view anyway. For target it's a different story and that's where they really come into their own. Some less expensive SFPs, or poorly made ones will shift zero with mag but almost all of the decent ones will not. For those who dial, a SFP duplex remains one of the world's most popular shooting rets and for good reason.

BDC are plenty good enough once mag is set accordingly and yes, plenty good enough for fox. I've used them to over 300 yds with zero problems and good accuracy once you've determined the bullet drop and the extent of the range to which they can be accurately used. Knowing your bullet drop is everything.

Most ranging rets are NOT the same thing at all as dialling. Some have larger milldots for example, and some ranges require aiming points in between hash marks or dots so how is that more accurate than dialling? An 1/8th moa turret allows for more accurate than holding off in between marks. That's just a cold fact. Mildots for approximations are quicker and they are perfectly adequate and handy for rapid changes to wind allowance where they probably are as accurate as dialling ONLY because the wind varies and is rarely a constant....a bit hit and miss for both types as we all know. Personally, I have no preference as you need to range, work out the wind allowance and set the moa or inches or whatever the heck you use, so twiddling and adjuster, crosshair on and firing is what I do, aiming off is what others do. Who cares, either works.

I can dial very quickly for wind thank you and it's second nature now. Even wind gusting say 8 to 15 mph at 200 yds isn't a radical adjustment in MOA...it's all about calling the shot between gusts or determining a good average and setting the windage for that. No less accurate than using a ranging ret.

Anyway, this is becoming a circular argument and pretty pointless, especially since the childish sarcasm crept in so have it your way. Some useful info was given for both options (Mildots V's dialling) and people are intelligent enough to make their own minds up what might suit them best.

You use what pleases you, and others will use what pleases them or what they are most comfortable shooting with. There's no wrong and right.

Edited by Savhmr