learning the craft

oowee

Four hundred rounds through the .22 rf cz455 trying to learn what it will do and more to the point what I can do. Practicing here in the garden walking and setting up and firing and I am confident to put 90% in a 1 inch circle at 50 yds off the sticks. So last night upto a local farm to try stalking for some rabbits.

Arrived at 2000 to get out of the truck at the bottom of the yard to see a rabbit 50 yds away ready to test my skills. It looked like it had been planted there ready and waiting. Not wanting to scare it away by getting the sticks out of the pick up I tried to rest on the rear tub. As the rabbit was down in the dip I realised whilst I could see it I was likely to put a hole in the car so time for a rethink. Holding against the ladder rack I took the shot and collected the rabbit. On collection I realsed it was probably a little further out as the bullet was a little low ( i might need that range finder). Forgot to take a game bag so left the rabbit where it was.

Then off to walk the top fields wind in my face only to see several targets make a run for it :unhappy:. At the far side of the field I was walking down hill to the warrens and set up on the top looking down. Nothing for 30 mins so picked up and walked back to the start and noticed one back from where I had just been. Took a shot at about 40 yds and that was two in the bag enough for tomorrows dinner.

Now for the questions. When the rifle is loaded and its been fired is it acceptable to leave a bullet in the breach whist walking around with just the safety on?

Is it possible to unload without spitting the unspent cartridge out into the grass?

The scope is a Hawke 3-9 X 50 and at 50yds range with the scope focused the indicated range on the front of the scope is just over 30yds is this normal? Will altering the eye piece focus change this?

When resting the rifle on the sticks I am pulling the sticks towards me with the sling which is ok but i wonder if there is a guide on how best to make a stable platform?

IMG_08121_zpss4jzx31r.jpg

When deer stalking you nearly always have a round chambered. Muzzle safety should make it irrelevant.

The focusing ring distance is always an approximation. Different people's eyes and the eye relief that they use will change it.

Regarding setting up the sticks, it's whatever works for you. If it's creating a stable platform and is comfortable, then crack on.

A rangefinder is useful, but I only ever use one as confirmation. So I'll think how far away a tree, rock, etc. is, and then see how accurate I was. As such, you find you need it less and less, as your estimation gets better.

30 minutes is a bit short to wait for spooked bunnies to come back up. Patience is really key with rabbits, and if working a warren you could well be in the same spot for an hour or more.

Good shooting anyway. 2 for 2 is as good as it gets, unless the bunnies are lining up for you !

You should have a round chambered in case of a follow up shot. As said, muzzle safety is everything.

You can unload without spitting the round out. Take out the magazine and cover the ejector port with the fingers of your left hand. Have your left palm under the magazine hole. When you eject the round it will bounce off your fingers and into your palm - might be worth practicing

Good shooting anyway, enjoy your dinner!