Small engine/2 stroke Manuals?

scotslad

Alright

Does anyone know of any decent small engine and/or 2 stroke manuals that cover the basics for most smaller 4 stroke engines (genny's whackers etc) and ur 2 stroke chainsaw/strimmers

Would be great if same manual had both 4 and 2 stroke engines

Not to bad at general maintenace with chainsaw engines can do new barrel/rings or carb daiphrams but would like to be better at problem solving and esp with the carb.

My shed is begiinning to look like a chainsaw graveyard, got some of my older saws as well as a few knackered/donor ones i've been given which tend to get canabilised.

if you are already doing piston/barrel...and carb maintenance...you are 90% there...you are not going to learn much about problem solving out of a manual..............you would be better off explaining your problem on this forum coupled with the odd pic...and getting an answer on here...............

the only things on a chainsaw are...

• oiler
  • clutch
  • piston
  • barrel
  • electric ignition (or points if it is an old one)
  • bar
  • chain
  • carb

the electrics...if it is faulty you cant do anything with...other that clean or thro' away

the rest of the stuff you are doing......

Aye its more the carb to be fair, fine changing stuff over but struggle if anything out of place etc, jets or needles sticking type thing

Just sort of self taught and sort of manage but don't really know wot i'm doing if u know wot i mean

Just bought a genny and whacker plate that need a bit of tlc/overhual too

strimmer carbs are best thrown away rather than re-build them

example

strimmer carb rebuild gasket kit.....£17.00

new carb........................................£ 27.00

i know what i would go for !

the strimmer saw carbs have generally 2 adjustments on mixture.......plus a tickover screw

old carbs have one....mixture.....plus tick over screw

go online to see what the screw settings are..............

small strimmer carbs work better and start better .....Lean

Edited by ditchman

Cheers ditchman, i'sd never be off here if i asked everytime something broke down :whistling:

Even todays breakdown (which started thread) a 5kw genny ran it dry now not starting, wouldn't start the other day when hot either.

New plug, still no sign of spark, stripped things down trying to isolate any faults (neighbour helped me who is pretty good with engines/genny's) both decided it was magnito/ignition coil or ht lead but all connected. And magneto was the favourite

Phones local shop for part he reckons it won't be that, and to try it with the 'switch' cable disconnected, and he's right, starts and truns fine with switch unconnected, runs with switch in On position and can use it to stop the genny, only thing genny won't do is start with switch connected.

We had voltmeter over switch terminals .and it definately seemed to be working when it was meant to, so god knows

Atleast i can run it at minuate to get job finished, just cut the side out a shed to pull an oversized oil tank out so now trying to weld some gate posts etc in and no power up there

Plus i bought a whacker plate at auction, now looking at it closely looks like been some water ingress to top of barrel/plug and oil green/gunky.

So bigger job than i hoped and never worked with their engines/carbs before as 4 stroke.

If i'm buying cheaper plant thought mibee should learn better how to fix them

Edited by scotslad

sounds if you are doing just fine..............................i will tell you one thing now..............the PW boys luuuvvve....a problem....if you take the time to explain the problem...even with a couple of pics and as much info as possible....you will have loads of people breathing down your neck with help ...trust me !!

sounds if you are doing just fine..............................i will tell you one thing now..............the PW boys luuuvvve....a problem....if you take the time to explain the problem...even with a couple of pics and as much info as possible....you will have loads of people breathing down your neck with help ...trust me !!

:good: :good: :good: