Advice On First Shotgun?

flashgordon

I think when you're new to it you will get battered a bit as you're not used to mounting the gun perfectly every time and different guns take some getting used to.

This.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'buy one that fits' mantra. Once you've a bit more experience and a consistent mount then you can get into these realms if you want. But for me, average size like you, I can pick up a gun from all the major manufactures and make it work. The sight picture might be a bit different, but that doesn't stop me. Everyone has to 'learn' a new gun to varying degrees.

Buy what you want to own!

My only advice would be for a sporter & 3" chambers from any of the main brands. Browning, Beretta, Miroku, Winchester, Lanber etc etc etc the list is endless!

Edited by Highlandladdie

The only exception is a round of clays with my ill-fitting AYA SBS which nearly knocks me on my back after a hundred fast 28 gram shells lol

It's too light and too short in the stock for that kind of thing so it was a one off!

I think the 'ill fitting' is the issue here; I regularly shoot 50 clays through my AyA No 1 (21 to 28 grammes), or 30 or 40 cartridges at game (26 to 32 grammes) with no ill effects. I have shot 100+ cartridges through it with no issues. I'm not a heavy built either, being 5' 9" or so and 155 lbs.

Find a club with club guns, join and go shooting,buy brews get to know folk,Shooters are friendly and "is that a B525? can i have go as im looking to buy one" has never been refused in my experience,Do expect the friend to want a few pair with your new purchase when it appears.