28 bore reloading help

hi guys been reloading a long time just getting into 28g reloading has any body got a 16 to 21 g lead load for vectan as / a1 / csb5 / ao / blue dot / have some csb0 but want to save for 12g wildfowling just want a decent clay buster / pigeon load

ps has anybody got once fired shells would be happy to pay postage etc thanks

Edited by Saltings

Try these, they were from Folkestone eng, before they stopped selling Vectan powders. I have used the A0 loads also have substituted the plastic wads for fibre, but have not tried the a1 load. But normal warning use at your own risk etc. Folkestone now sell Maxam powder and show csb5 only good for 15gm shot load. These are all lead shot.

* 28 Gauge *

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

0.9gm Vectan A1

Gualandi 38mm plastic wad mini-container.

19gm #6 (2.6mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.0gm Vectan A0

19gm #8 (2.2mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.05gm Vectan A0

B&P Baby Cal H21 plastic wad.

21gm #7 (2.4mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.0gm Vectan A0

B&P Baby Cal H18 plastic wad.

24gm #6.5 (2.5mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

Try these, they were from Folkestone eng, before they stopped selling Vectan powders. I have used the A0 loads also have substituted the plastic wads for fibre, but have not tried the a1 load. But normal warning use at your own risk etc. Folkestone now sell Maxam powder and show csb5 only good for 15gm shot load. These are all lead shot.

* 28 Gauge *

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

0.9gm Vectan A1

19gm #6 (2.6mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.0gm Vectan A0

19gm #8 (2.2mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.05gm Vectan A0

B&P Baby Cal H21 plastic wad.

21gm #7 (2.4mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

70mm Case.

Fiocchi 615 primer.

1.0gm Vectan A0

B&P Baby Cal H18 plastic wad.

24gm #6.5 (2.5mm) lead shot.

Star crimp.

top bloke many thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Saltings,

John at Folkestone Engineering sorted me out a very nice load for my 28.

21 Gram No 7 with fibre wad, using PSB+2SP.

The column height is just right and loads without any problem, crimping well even with new Fiocchi cases on the MEC 600 Jr.

I think this is essentially the Eley VIP Game 21 Gram load but at a far lower price. ;)

Cheers

Clive

Clive is that load on his web site i am looking for a load like that for the 28 bore

Yes it is. Have a look under the section for the Evo fibre wads.

28ga 21gm #6.5 or #7 Load
70mm Fiocchi Case
Fiocchi 615 primer
1.20gm PSB+2SP
4mm over powder card.
12mm Evo Fibre wad
21gm #6.5 (2.5mm) lead shot
6 Point Star Closure
O/L=60.9mm
I set mine up by adjusting the rammer tube so the wad is fully seated but not compressed, i.e. the wad pressure dial doesn't move on the MEC. My powder charge is also 18.9 grains (drilled one of the spare powder bushings out to 11mm) which is half a grain over and the shot charge is just the standard 3/4 ounce volumetric drop from the machine.
To set the crimp height I used a new Hull High Pheasant cartridge as a guide and then just tuned the crimp cam according to the instructions for the MEC.
Had it set to my satisfaction after 5 or 7 cartridges.
Cheers
Clive

Yes it is. Have a look under the section for the Evo fibre wads.

28ga 21gm #6.5 or #7 Load
70mm Fiocchi Case
Fiocchi 615 primer
1.20gm PSB+2SP
4mm over powder card.
12mm Evo Fibre wad
21gm #6.5 (2.5mm) lead shot
6 Point Star Closure
O/L=60.9mm
I set mine up by adjusting the rammer tube so the wad is fully seated but not compressed, i.e. the wad pressure dial doesn't move on the MEC. My powder charge is also 18.9 grains (drilled one of the spare powder bushings out to 11mm) which is half a grain over and the shot charge is just the standard 3/4 ounce volumetric drop from the machine.
To set the crimp height I used a new Hull High Pheasant cartridge as a guide and then just tuned the crimp cam according to the instructions for the MEC.
Had it set to my satisfaction after 5 or 7 cartridges.
Cheers
Clive

Cheers Clive just setting a press up at the moment then i will have a play with that load

No problem at all. Have fun.

Assuming it's a MEC 600 Jr. If you're reloading fired cartridges then it's a good idea to mark on the outside of the crimp starter, where the blades are on the inside. Then you can line it up with the creases on the fired crimp. The 6 point on the 28 bore doesn't self centre like it does on the 8 point for the larger bores.

For adjusting your crimp cam, just follow the pictures in the manual for the MEC.

Cheers

Clive

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just as a bit of an update to keep the info in one place.

I picked up some supplies from Folkestone Engineering today, along with the goodies I splurged on one of the Gaep start crimps for new cases. For anyone wondering, it's well worth the cost.

The standard crimp tooling on the mec leaves an almost hexagonal profile on the end of the cartridge when crimped, but with the Gaep installed and set properly it rolls and flows the plastic for a pretty much good as factory crimp. Perfectly round with a nice rounded chamfer on the end of the case.

Loaded up 150 or so of 21 gram #7 and 50 of 16 gram #9 for my boy to have a go on. Both fibre loads.

Cheers

Clive