Fox after my rabbit

AndyCM

I was out bunny bashing tonight, and got 4 between 6o'clock & 7o'clock.

When I was stalking the last one (haha it had mixy :rolleyes: ) I got a really strong smell of fox, so I decided to stay put and have a good look around. 10 mins later and nothing so I carried on and shot the rabbit, at about 10 yards. Within 5 seconds the fox was on the rabbit. So I got him too - a young'un.

Cheers

AndyCM

post-11-1119389780.jpg

Hi Frank,

Yes, a CZ 452 Style .22LR - which is actually nickel coated rather than stainless and is nice and practical for field use.

The silencer is an ASE UTRA which works well on the Style and my .17hmr too.

Cheers

AndyCM

Hi Hubertus,

My nose is not good !

I think the fox must have been really close to me and marking territory, that is why I stopped to have a good look around. Fresh scent in the air rather than old scent on the ground is why I noticed. It was strong.

I guess the fox must have been in cover hunting the same rabbit(s) as me - when he spotted one in difficulty (from an Eley subsonic) he was on it. The photo just shows a twisted back leg of the rabbit where the fox started to chew.

Cheers

AndyCM

Hi Badsworth,

I am pleased with the kit - I'd buy the same again.

The moderator cost me £60, I did use a parker hale on this rifle for some time and it was ok. Once I got a .17hmr too it was not so good and after trying a few I settled on this ASE UTRA

http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html see the last one on the product page (sold as a .22 mod)

imported into the UK by

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/

I got one sent to a local RFD and bought it there in the normal way.

The ASE UTRA works well on the .22lr and .17hmr.

The scope is unusual in that I have not seen anyone else with one - it's a Tasco EXP 3-9x42/54. The objective lens is oval (42mm high and 54mm wide). It gives a nice wide field of view while being mounted close to the barrel as that part of the lens is only 42mm. It has enough magnification for my needs on the .22 and is good at dusk too. I originally bought it as part of a package with an air rifle and swapped it onto the rimfire when I bought that.

Have fun with your new kit.

Cheers

AndyCM

Edited by AndyCM

Andy - did your local RFD charge you much for the facility of getting the mod for you?

I am waiting for my ticket to come through. I will be getting (fingers crossed) a .22 and a .17 (plus a .223 god willing) so I will try to get hold of an ASE UTRA.

Can you recall which specific model you bought? They all seem to have codes instead of names.

Interesting scope!

Thanks for the reply.

Badsworth

Hi Badsworth,

The RFD did not charge me any extra - just the £60 which I expected to pay wherever I bought it. If you are going to any good gamefairs soon you may be able to get one there - take your FAC.

You say that you are waiting for your ticket - did you apply for mods for all rifles too ? If not, and you are yet to be visited by your FLO you should be able to add these at the meeting.

As to the specific moderator model (name or code) I don't know - I called Jackson Rifles and said I wanted an ASE UTRA for a .17 rimfire - they knew the one I needed.

Good Luck in tracking down all that kit - it'll be well worth it.

Cheers

AndyCM