i need help

corky

can anybody out there help me?i have been pigeon shooting for a meer 18 months now and still find as frustrating as the first time.The problem i have now is when is it the right time to go, i have got access to farm. land ,my decoying seems to work pulls them in when they are about,i understand flightlines and have read many a book, but what i cannot understand is one day there will be plenty pigeons around and then another time ther will be none. i have heard a little about weather pressures affecting a day out can anyone tell me about these pressures , i.e. what pressure is best and how to tell when it is, or if it something completely different .your comments will be greately appreciated thankyou

As has been said, the problem with wild birds (fish are the same), is that they are unpredictable.

You can reduce the odds;

Dry, windy days are usually good, heavy rain is usually bad.

Bright , clear, still days can be awful and shooting on foggy days can be a waste of time.

However, I have experienced exceptions to all of the above statements.

The thing I remember is that the birds have got to feed sometime.

When the weather doesn't cooperate, I tend to keep myself mobile.

There might be a brief lull in the rain, the fog could lift for a while.

On a rainy day, there may be a well sheltered area next to a wood, thats worth trying.

It might only provide a few birds for an hour or so, but its better than nothing.

I have noticed that some pigeon shooters are like some fishermen.

They arrive at their chosen location (usually nearest the car parking), set up camp and wait for the quarry to come to them.

When nothing happens, they just call it a bad day, I would think of it as a wasted day.

Stay mobile and accept that brief spells of activity and bags under 20 birds are normal. :)

Quite right LB....

there are no short cuts Corky................. understanding your quarry is half the battle, and to do that you have to spend as much time as you can in the field,

observing, and taking note............trying to get to understand their daily routines and movments, which like like everything changes like the weather......................Books will only give you the bare bones of what to do.. the rest is down to you mate................. You will eventually find the 'clearer picture'

I've been at it for years mate, and am still learning!!!!!! If we new all the answers we all would be having red letter days every time we ventured out.... would we not!!!!!!!!!

Paul in North Lincs. :):lol:

Pigeons have a high metabolism rate Corky which means that they will need to feed at some point during the day during winter months. The key to it is finding out where they are feeding in any great numbers and setting your stall out accordingly.

I would imagine the Pigeon numbers in Essex are quite high and are related to the Acreage of rape grown there which is also quite high. In short they have the choice of many thousands of acres to feed over and often do. A flock of feeding birds will think nothing of taking to the wing and scooting 3 to 6 miles down wind to the next farm. In this area the birds are still working the many wooded valleys and rape has been almost untouched. A pigeon feeding on rape will need to daily as it is a low energy food. Beech mast and ivy berries is a different matter a full crop may take a day or two to grind down and digest in the gullet. Hence the birds are inactive for long periods and wont look at a decoy.

I shouldnt get too disillusioned with it and accept as others have said that Big bags of 100 plus are increasingly more difficult to attain. If I get out and sit in the countyside with a good pair of bins for a day way from the kids and the wife and all the associated pressures of adulthood I coulnt give a four X how many pigeons I shoot.

Heres a tip. Next time you go out get out as early as you can, choose the most unlikely place, set up your decoys in a haphazzard way, forget to load the gun and make your self as visible as possible and I bet you £100 sovs pigeons will turn up in no time at all :)

FM.

Corky,

I've got even less experience than you so I'll not try to give you any advice other than what an old university biology teacher once told our class about the poisonous snakes we'd soon be capturing and handling. He said:

"Remember that under any certain set of circumstances, they'll do as they damn-well please".

I suspect that statement applies to our winged friends as well.

El Gringo

Heres a tip. Next time you go out get out as early as you can, choose the most unlikely place, set up your decoys in a haphazzard way, forget to load the gun and make your self as visible as possible and I bet you £100 sovs pigeons will turn up in no time at all ???

FM

That says it all Corky.

SO PAY ATTENTION :blink: