Decoy pattern questions

onlyme

Hi all this will proberly be a very basic question, and i beg you to indulge my dumbness on the matter, with my very limited experiance of decoying , can anyone explain in real world terms what and why you lads use different shapes to your deek patterns from using a v to a horseshoe, single line to a j shape, to even two groups with a space inbetween. i can kinda make sense from watching birds dropping in on the shapes i have made using straight lines at angles to flightline and horseshoes to 2 groups , and noticed they can direct and funnel birds to my area, but is there a set in stone rule of thumb for using patterns in certain situations ? knowledge is power an all that , cheers lads in advance... i have noticed so far the two groups of deeks set 15 yards appart with a 20-25 yard distance is good when birds approace from all directions and want water in the puddles, and the horseshoe and j shapes work well under flightlines , and have had good results with a straight line to direct birds that dont want to land to conventional patterns.... any advice is a bonus...

My line of thinking on on this is thus, I will nine times outa ten depending on wind start with the horseshoe, this provides a kill zone ie the centre (empty) part of the pattern this is the area i like at 30 / 35yrds from the hide, pigeons will (hopefully) enjoy the secure feeling of landing in amongst its' brethren and have confidence to pitch in, into to wind remember so open end of the shoe shape to allow for this. As a side note don't place your decoys in a too uniform pattern and not all regimentally facing the same direction, space them out you don't see em packed up tightly normally so keep em spread out.

I will only start messing with pattern if birds visibly baulk this includes picking up dead birds

I don't stick rigorously to exact geometric shapes when setting out decoys.

The importance of providing an open "killing area", dependant on the wind direction, is the priority.

Rather than have a smooth horsehoe shape, I will place my decoys in small groups with good gaps between them, making the rough shape.

When using a rotary, I place that as the "beacon" I want the pigeons to aim for.

If you spend some time watching pigeons feeding, you can get some good ideas for decoy layouts.

Sounds nearly the same as I do it? I like at least two groups of deeks spaced randomly ( as you see pigeon in the field)

with a gap set between directly in front of my hide if I do use magnets I put them close in just to one side of my hide the idea is that birds will chanel through the gap and into range before spooking at the magnets, I also use my floaters close in again not the "standard" way of doing it but it works for me.

KW

cranfield> If you spend some time watching pigeons feeding, you can get some good ideas for decoy layouts.

I think this is a great comment.(cranfields)

we are all just trying to fool the pigeons,trying to make them think they are going to eat with other pigeons.

watching and copying nature is the only way.

cheers scott