Unregistered Shotgun?

flexouk

As it stands the gun is not legal, and who ever is holding it may potentially have a problem. Usual course of action is to hand it in to an RFD who will hoild the gun legally while the police make their investigations into the circumstances. If it does not show as having any history that is adverse, ie stolen or missing off a license, then the gun is transferred onto your license by the RFD in due course. Allow a couple of months for the police to check, and then collect the gun onto your license from the RFD when its cleared. Expect to pay a small fee to the RFD for holding and transferring the gun.

You can legally sign it onto your licence. My boss is doing exactly the same with his shotgun, as his licence expired years ago and never handed it in.

I checked with my firearms department and they advised me that this is the best thing to do.

There are a lot of things that suggest firearms depts record keeping has been and is pretty abysmal, certainly i know of two different people who have had licenses lapse and not renewed yet no one has been to collect them,

however I would go the RFD route just in case the gun has a dodgy past, you just never know who the person bought it from etc and best to keep yourself out of it than end up having to answer questions about it.

Edited by al4x