Population explosion.

rushy lad

Rabbits seem to be everywhere! I have never seen so many for years around my area, Great news for Autumn ferreting if they last that long!

Just read a topic on the fwi website forum(Farmers weekly) with someone complaining about rabbits causing a nuisance on their farm. The use of myxi was brought up :lol:

I thought that the horrible disease was banned? It,s a pity that the fwi forums don,t allow pest controllers to offer their services, I am sure someone ,somewhere would just love to help out! :lol:

Just prior to the cereal harvest, there always seems to be a rabbit population explosion.

Then the cornfields and cover disappear, the rabbits move back underground and we see the first signs of Myxomatosis.

Fortunately, this seems to disappear with the first frosts, but it does dent the population a bit. :lol:

Myxinatosis was actually introduced from Brazil to Australia to control the rabbit population there and some Frenchman introduced it from there to France where it spread all over Europe. Its spread by blood sucking insects like fleas and mosquitos.

Rabbits were introduced in this country by the Vikings who got them from Spain and from here they were introducted to Australia. Some rabbits are naturally immune to myxomatosis: super rabbits!

Thanks google! :lol::lol:

Edited by The_Craws