Caravan Towing...

maximusdecimus

If you`ve only ever pulled a caravan with a transit would I be right in thinking you`re a bloody *****.

Fareham has really gone down hill since your lot moved in. Hitch up your vardo and ****** off back to Essex where you belong!

Pulled a TRAILER with a transit whilst in the army and no not a ***** i'm a senior IT professional with a 4 bedroom detached house albeit Welsh!

I'd go for a diesel Volvo V70 estate, looks like you can get a '52 with full service history for ~£3K.

Big and comfortable and will pull anything all day long with enough room in the boot to

easily distribute the weight between van and car.

One advantage of the Jeep suggested elsewhere is that it would double up as a shooting

car, V70s aren't great up rutted tracks as I keep finding out.

Nial.

I heard that the majority of ''offences'' were people without a trailer licence (B+E) :good:

That would be about right,let me guess they get fined!

What a joke!

Any heavy car with a strong engine will do the job.

disco or volvo.

A lot really depends on the size of the van your pulling.

if its one of the funny little dutch ones any car will do (not a smart)

I have had trailers start to wiggle and its not fun.

Cheers scott

2.5tdi Audi A6 a great car alround and towing.

I used to find the caravan club sites a bit stuck up and very regimental, everybody has to park the same way or you will get the rath of other members or the site wardens.

Caravan club sites are without doubt the cleanest, safest, (especially for kids), places to stay. The wardens are on site to not only help members and service the site facilities but to maintain the peace and quiet we all enjoy, dogs are welcome and have a separate exercise area.

The pitches are laid out to ensure that everyone has ample space around them, the art is in choosing a pitch away from trees, so that the awning faces south , with the evening sun, if any lol,is on the lounge area of the caravan.

It is true that there are a few, and only a few, wardens (usually temps covering regular wardens holidays) that take the job too seriously, my approach is to gently remind them that I am the member and it is my club he works for. After reflection they usually see where I am coming from.

Happy Caravanning. D2D.

Disco's are great tow cars and we get a lot of them at our Caravan Club site, along with diesel estates of various forms. Audi, VW and ford being the most popular.

The strangest tow cars we get are the same familly who come back year after year with 2 cars, one on the caravan and the other on a boat. Caravan pulled by a classic jag and the boat by a Triumph Herald. They tow to us in Devon from Yorks in one hop.

What ever you choose to tow with check the nose weight on the hook and load the caravan accordingly. If worried fit an anti snake bar and know how to drive out of a snake if it occurs.

Alos consider where you are going to keep the van off season, storage under cover is available and not that expensive.

Caravan club sites are without doubt the cleanest, safest, (especially for kids), places to stay. The wardens are on site to not only help members and service the site facilities but to maintain the peace and quiet we all enjoy, dogs are welcome and have a separate exercise area.

Don't agree, My expirance (?) teds to be a hitler style warden or an ex army major.

I know some fantasic sites down this way privately owned that out do any caravan club site for there freindly, safe sites and build with the faimly in mind.

Don't agree, My expirance (?) teds to be a hitler style warden or an ex army major.

I know some fantasic sites down this way privately owned that out do any caravan club site for there freindly, safe sites and build with the faimly in mind.

All I can say is that you have either been very unfortunate or have not been to many Caravan Club sites, in 30 yrs of holidaying in both Motorhomes and Caravans I can remember only two such wardens, with "attitude", as I said they just need a gentle reminder as to who they are actually working for.

There are very many excellent privately managed sites but the standard of Caravan Club sites is the same wherever you stay, its not a case of pot luck as to whether its a good site or not. They also work out on average to be cheaper than commercial sites I have found.

Rgds D2D

Dont forget there are 2 styles of Caravan Club of Great Britain sites, the larger ones are very professional outfits and I beleive some of the sites are owned by the club out right, ours is of the other tupe, small 5 van site on a working farm, there many 100's of these around the country.

We can only take 5 vans at a time but are inspected by the club annually, have full facilities including electric hook ups and you get to stay in a very peaceful location for just £12 a night.

No warden, though we will greet you and tell you the rough area to park up, lots of room around you so you are not packed in. Indeed our site is 1.5 acres and only has 5 vans on it, so hardly crowded.

Do your research and you will find good pitches with good service out there.

Dont forget there are 2 styles of Caravan Club of Great Britain sites, the larger ones are very professional outfits and I beleive some of the sites are owned by the club out right, ours is of the other tupe, small 5 van site on a working farm, there many 100's of these around the country.

We can only take 5 vans at a time but are inspected by the club annually, have full facilities including electric hook ups and you get to stay in a very peaceful location for just £12 a night.

No warden, though we will greet you and tell you the rough area to park up, lots of room around you so you are not packed in. Indeed our site is 1.5 acres and only has 5 vans on it, so hardly crowded.

Do your research and you will find good pitches with good service out there.