Centerfire Caliber which to choose?

groach1234

Okay i recently got granted my FAC for 17hmr and 22lr both with mods and its open. My plan always was to have these for 6-12 months then put in for a cf when i have some experience so i had a better chance of getting it granted.

Now my problem is choosing what to apply for. It is for Roe and fox so .243 minimum i know but what i need to know is that as i have open flat land would i be better going for i higher caliber. Now i know this may seem an odd question but someone once told me that i higher caliber may be a safer round as the greater weight of the bullet means it falls faster now is this true or utter bull ****? :lol: i dont know but my understanding of physics suggests that there is some grounding in this principle but i could be wrong. But there is some good 6ft tall and about 5ft deep banks at at least one edge of most of the fields and there are no foot paths dissecting any of the fields if this helps.

So what do you feel about maybe going for a higher caliber? am i being stupid? and also can you recommend any good reading on the subject?

George

I believe that the law has been ammended so that you can use your deer legal rifle, whatever the calibre, for shooting a fox. But I am not sure if the police are aware of the fact, all forces seem to have different interpretations of the law. The best thing you can do is consult your local FEO and see what they will allow you to have

When I applied for my certificate there were restrictions in place, and the largest calibre that West Mercia would allow for fox & deer was the 6.5x55 so that is what i had. Given a free choice i would have bought a .308 at the time. I am not dissapointed with the 6.5x55.

Most centrefire rounds are dangerous up to anywhere between 4km-6km. A safe shot with a backstop, is as safe with a .243 as it is with a 30-06. And as dangerous if there is no backstop. On some of my permissions I was granted the right to shoot as long as i used a high seat because some of it is very flat. But i also got them to grant me the right to follow up on foot and dispatch wounded deer on the same land, just in case i needed it.

ft

The weight of the bullet will not affect how long it takes to fall to the ground. If you dropped a marble and a bowling ball from the same height they will hit the ground at the same time even though they will have very different weights.

This is true in a vacuum but not on the earth as wind resistance and terminal velocity are factors that must be taken into acount.

George

Edited by groach1234

Roe and fox = 243, that's pretty much why it exists! 80gr SP or 87 v-max, neither species will argue.

but that wouldn't be legal on deer would it?

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

No, you're reading the Scotland spec for deer larger than roe.

In England & Wales, the minimum requirement for shooting roe deer is a rifle of .240 calibre, with 1700 ft/lbs of energy. No requirement for bullet weight is set.

In Scotland, you may use a .22 CF with 1000 ft/lbs of energy and a 50 grain bullet on deer species up to and including roe deer; therefore this is completely legal.

I speak from experience - very effective.

No, you're reading the Scotland spec for deer larger than roe.

In England & Wales, the minimum requirement for shooting roe deer is a rifle of .240 calibre, with 1700 ft/lbs of energy. No requirement for bullet weight is set.

In Scotland, you may use a .22 CF with 1000 ft/lbs of energy and a 50 grain bullet on deer species up to and including roe deer; therefore this is completely legal.

I speak from experience - very effective.

really? in 243 Winchester, which is another barrel length critical calibre, you would need to be driving a 100-grain bullet at 2770 fps to achieve 1700 ft/lbs.

Now i know this may seem an odd question but someone once told me that i higher caliber may be a safer round as the greater weight of the bullet means it falls faster now is this true or utter bull ****?

It may be true from the laws of physics point of view, but from the firearms safety point of view it is total and utter ****!

I suggest you take no notice whatsoever of the person who gave you that piece of information.