Newbie after pearls of wisdom!

tbox

First off HELLO!

As a Newbie this looks like an excellent forum and I'm really enjoying browsing around it. I wonder if anyone out there could offer a beginner some advise on the best way to get cracking. I've been pigeon shooting a few times with a good mate of mine and really enjoy it, but he's a little light on useful coaching skills (other than a thorough saftey briefing - which is obviously not to be taken lightly!)

What I would really like is to get a thorough introduction to the shotgun and start getting the basics right from the start. Can anyone recommend a good introductory course that covers the basics of shooting, as well as gun-care, safety etc?

I'm Surrey based but happy to travel up to a couple of hours for the right training.

Cheers,

TBox

Welcome to the site, go along to your local clay pigeon shooting club/school and get yourself a lesson. Its a good intro into the sport and you will be surprised how much you learn. Good luck :lol:

Many thanks for th welcome. Getting up to a clay club/school seems to be the prevailing advise so I think I will take it... Thanks!

Looking via the Interweb Bisley seems to be the main school that pops up on a google search. Any members got a view on Bisley - good/bad etc?

Many thanks for th welcome. Getting up to a clay club/school seems to be the prevailing advise so I think I will take it... Thanks!

Looking via the Interweb Bisley seems to be the main school that pops up on a google search. Any members got a view on Bisley - good/bad etc?

http://www.bisleyshooting.co.uk/content/in...5&Itemid=28

Never been myself but I know a few lads off here shoot there :lol:

welcome along,

keep a close eye on the forum, some cracking advice and it's helped me a lot so far in my understanding of shotguns, having moved from Air rifles previously.

I'd have to say get a lesson or two - cost around £50 for an hour and get practicing down your nearest clay club....this is my intention as soon as the papers pop through my door :yes:

All,

Thanks for the many kind welcomes and advice. Just spent some time looking round and this site is a fantastic resource. Loving it!

James.

Hello James - more than welcome to shoot over my land fella- seeing as you bought the Bettinsoli from me- I guess Im a tad too far though!!!But Im willing to show you the ropes along with some pigeon too- if you fancy the drive

Les ??????

Hello James - more than welcome to shoot over my land fella- seeing as you bought the Bettinsoli from me- I guess Im a tad too far though!!!But Im willing to show you the ropes along with some pigeon too- if you fancy the drive

Les ??????

Nice offer from Lez ..............................but remember he wears strange camo on his head that may require kissing him! :good: LOL :good:

Check out his last Trago Mills shopping trip! ???

link added

>>> mistletoe man <<<

Edited by malkiserow

Les :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice offer from Lez ..............................but remember he wears strange camo on his head that may require kissing him! :good: LOL :sick:

Check out his last Trago Mills shopping trip! :rolleyes:

link added

>>> mistletoe man <<<

LOL!! All a bit scarey!! but seriously Les. Many thanks for that kind offer. I will definately take you up on it sometime. Always love a trip down the A303 to the west country!

http://www.bisleyshooting.co.uk/content/in...5&Itemid=28

Never been myself but I know a few lads off here shoot there :/

Well I took the advice of most people on this thread to get up to a clay club, followed the link above for Bisley Shooting Ground (Many thanks sharp_shooter_sam!) and this morning went up to Bisley for the first of 6 lessons. Blumming brill!!! Sarah White is a cracking teacher IMHO. Well not just IMHO. bumped into a bloke in the carpark who was hoping to book Sarah (sorry fella.. snooze you loose!)

Can't wait till next lesson on Monday. I'm hooked! :lol::good:

• 1 month later...