Shooting last Sunday

gary29428

well done buddy

I know what it's like to have to leave birds sometimes you have no option as you can cause more damage looking for them than anything else eh.

Adam

good point Adam , you need to look at the big picture ,if your going to cause more crop damage than the pigeons,then why shoot them ??.

lost my fair share to the scavengers .

Martin

jesus i cant spell worht a s***** sometimes :*)

Edited by the last engineer

We were positioned in front of a huge ditch which was our only option with wind direction, the best shots are always at birds trying to get out after you have taken one. Unfortunately they more often then not go straight past you and when you drop them they carry into the ditch (or uncut crops). This time of year you would be ripped to bits trying to retrieve birds from such ditches, the growth is too tick.

Similarly if the birds dropped into uncut barley you could not expect to pick all of them, you would not be long losing your shooting if a farmer saw you trampling his crops looking for dead birds. To most farmers having you there in the first place is strictly a pest control exercise and he doesn't care what happens to the birds. As shooters we respect our quarry and like to make sure the birds are not left to rot, but at the end of the day it is the farmers options we must respect otherwise we would be shooting clay pigeons all summer instead of the real thing.

I resent the comments made by Paul Tony Cassidy, he said it was a disgrace leaving birds behind but I feel he has shown a distinct lack of pigeon shooting knowledge. It is not always possible to retrieve birds as much as we would all like, anybody who says they pick up everything they shot especially with big bags is talking ****. And just a final point I said we couldn’t pick 70 birds, not all of which were pigeons.

Guest Mr Pieman

I think your arguement is a well reasoned one, gary. However, you can't count birds in the total if you haven't picked them up :/:/

I know this is true, Mr Pieman Snr told me so many times how could I forget it!!!!

PP

Didn't think I was being ignorant in my reply Paul simply stating my opinion, no need for the handbags. This is what the site is for, exchange of ideas and opinions. just thought the word "disgrace" was a bit strong. We did make every effort to pick up as many birds as possible but as said before it is not always possible. I must say the thought has never crossed my mind when crow and pigeon shooting to always make sure the bird you shot at will land in an area where you are sure you can retrieve it. To be honest it would be hugely impractical for the type of shooting and service we provide to farmers. They want a job done and we do it as best we can, these farmers are the very lads we rely on come November for game shooting so it pays to keep them sweet. Got a call last night from a farmer with barley which was getting hammered by crows, went down there this morning and shot over 50. I only picked 31 as again birds landed in the uncut crop. Good news is there are a few Pheasants about and we will get to shoot his farm during the winter.

100_0161.jpg

We make several trips into the north every winter to go woodcock shooting. We have a few mates up there in Garrison Co.Fermanagh. While the woody shooting here in Galway were I live can be good we have had some serious days in the north, my best day ever of 10 was up there. To be honest we are only getting into the pigeon and crow scene in last few years, but as far as I'm concerned there is nothing to touch pigeons if they are coming right. My mate is from down south and would know a lot of farmers and they are crying out for help on crops. One farmer told us he can lose up to 20% of a crop to various pests and they get very excited when they see the big bag at the end of the day. Going at it again this Sunday, got a report of 500-600 birds hitting barley on a farm, will let you know who things go and hopefully get another good snap for the album.........

i have a mate who shoots 6000 pigeons per year and he does all his shooting in the south..woodcock shotting is at its best in donegal/fermanagh areas mate, i have really only started pigeon shooting properly the past mnth, my best bag was 35 with 35 missed easy, i then had 25 last saturday in the same field and gonna try the same field in the morning as nothing near me is cut at present, there is pigeons feeding on standing barley close to me but i havent got a rotary to put above the crops to attract them..

Paul Tony. Your mate who shoots over 6000 in the south, his name wouldn't happen to be Stephen by any chance. We shot woodcock last year with a guy who has hundreds of farmers in the south in his note book and spends all summer shooting pigeons down here. He offered us a few days in exchange for a few days on Lough Corrib during the duckfly, it never happened for various reasons. The guy spent all day shooting with us and then headed off to do a night shift in work. Sound fella.....think we had over 30 woodcock that day between 5 guns.