deek numbers

Windy

Summer months on stubble as few as three can work, winter rape shooting can be as many as you can carry, i use about 35 plus floater and magnet as needed on winter rape and maybe lofters when the trees are bare, I generaly take 10 in summer months plus floater and magnet as needed.

Add real birds to the pattern as dropped and withdraw some of the plastics as the real pattern builds up, the important thing is to get them laid out right for the birds on the day .

It really does vary and what works one day, may not work the next, so be prepared to change the layout.

If the purpose of decoys is to draw the birds to you, then you need to attract their attention and numbers and movement in the decoys does that.

Usually, I start with 20+ shells and add more or reduce the number depending on results.

I am a great believer in movement in a decoy layout and floater/bouncers and a rotary usually feature in my setup, plus all my shell decoys are on spring sticks, so that they move in the slightest breeze.

The higher the crop the more I tend to use (up to 50+), making sure they are above the crop so they can be seen from a distance, this is also where movement is important.

There is no set rule, you just have to do what you are confident with.

I have shot good numbers of birds just leaning against a hedge with no decoys, or just a few shell decoys.

cheers....

up till now have been a fairly casual shooter and have made do with a hide but no deeks. just taking shots at the 'general traffic'. not a big bag affair, granted, but i quite like it. however, with my new permission gained, thought i better get a bit more 'pro'.

without starting a huge bun fight, and i'm sure there is probably a million threads on the subject......general consensus on deek type to go for?

cheers....

up till now have been a fairly casual shooter and have made do with a hide but no deeks. just taking shots at the 'general traffic'. not a big bag affair, granted, but i quite like it. however, with my new permission gained, thought i better get a bit more 'pro'.

without starting a huge bun fight, and i'm sure there is probably a million threads on the subject......general consensus on deek type to go for?

It really all depends on how deep your pockets are!

Shells are most shooters favorites, flocked being the most popular and also the most expensive. I use ordinary ones but I re-paint them in matt paints. I have the necessary colours to hand as I use them for the floaters I make, otherwise that can add quite a bit to the cost. I use up to 4 floaters and a lander or 2 plus a magnet if needed, all with foam-winged plastic birds on.

I would recommend at least 2 floaters but Uk Shoot Warehouse do a good, cheap bouncer which takes foam-winged as well as dead birds. The magnet is perhaps something to save for as they are not always useful on some days. I find they attract young birds more than anything so at certain times of the year they are best left out. It depends what you are shooting over too.

You have the choice of sillosocks, airpros and the new FUDS as well. None of which I have used as yet so other shooters will advise on these I'm sure.

Some say you can never have too much kit but I'm not sure I would agree these days, not the spring chicken I was so I like to travel light nowadays!

GH

to be honest.....I dont want to end up with loads of kit. I want to keep it fairly simple. I'm not interested in mega hundred bag sessions. Just enjoy a day in the field, a few birds for the pot and hopefully a bit less crop damage for Mr Farmer.

Hopefully this attitude isnt 'wrong'.

basic decoy kit i'd say: 12 half shells (don't have to be flocked just make sure they're not shiny), and a floater (don't need a decoy for this if you're budget can't stretch, just stick a dead bird on it).

in time: get another floater, and a flapper.

as said before a magnet works sometimes, but really should be your last piece of kit.