Import Tax

Maldwyn

Am looking at buying a new rifle scope and I can't help noticing how much cheaper such items are marketed in the States. I assume that the shipping costs and import tax would push the price up to be comparable with UK prices. However, does import tax only apply to new goods or does it apply to second hand items as well ?

depends if its your first item from the states you have a very good chance of not getting hit at all, if though like me if you have had lots sent over then you will get hit every time, BUT depending on cost in the states to cost here it can and usually is more than worth it, I have had scopes from (arcadian sales) spot on seller that one,loads of reloading gear, to engines and parts for rc planes LOTS AND LOTS of them? recently had an item sent cost me $321 INCLUDING post I got stung for £8 handling charge (thats parcelfarce theft charge) £43 vat and £7 import duty so total £253 :( similar item (but not as good) here would have cost me nearly £700 :good: so work in the cost of handling 8 to 11 quid? vat at 17.5% INCLUDING post costs and another bit (not sure of actual rate for import duty) and decide if its still cheaper, in my experience I have never yet found it more expensive to import the same item, than to buy it here? hence the UK is called "treasure Isleand"

KW

it is on second hand as well as new items. The likelihood of your getting hit varies depending on how it was shipped, from whom, and how it was declared. Gift doesn't get you around it. Second hand doesn't either.

Most retailers will not sell you a riflescope and ship it out of the US. The department of state regulations at the moment are very prohibitive of what is able to be shipped. Rifle scopes made to a military standard are not allowed to be shipped. What is a mil standard? That's the question that no one has answered and most US retailers aren't willing to take a chance.

Thanks,

Rick