new be needing help ....

wabit

hi all am new here...

i'v been shooting just over a year now and the time has come to get a new rifle. (am up grading from a AA TX200 to a pcp/C02) and i cant make up my mind wich rifle to get AA s410 or the LOGUN s16-s.

i was going to buy the logun but after talking to a friend about it, he told me it was't a good choose as they tend to **** up quit easly.. and as its my first time buying a pcp/Co2 i dont want to be disaponted with the buy so if any one has experiansed both rifles plz could you shed some light on the to...

75% of me shooting is hunting

25% of it is taget practis.

click the link to view the s410

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.as...%20Rifle%20Kits

click the like to view the logun s16-s

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.as...%20Rifle%20Kits

If you are buying brand new then go for the S410.

If you are buying second hand then go for the S16. You will get more gun for the money.(due to the unwarranted bad press)

I have no experience of the S410 but I have limited experience of the S16 and as long as you have long arms and are careful in the loading action you will be pleased.

Just got a buyer for my spare Axsor or I'd have offered you that cheap, great gun for hunting ! Worth checking prices on the Daystate MK3, mines a Sport without the thumbhole stock, loads of good deals about in the various air gun comics. Deffo advise a gun with magazine despite what Mr. Doe said in the comic recently about it not being necessary, many a time I've had 3 bunnies from a group by quick reloading which I'd never have achieved with a single shot gun.

If you are buying second hand then go for the S16. You will get more gun for the money.(due to the unwarranted bad press)

OK - why is the bad press unwarranted. YOU may have one that works but a vast number (fact) did not. Their service centre dealt with vast numbers of returns of this shoddy pile of junk. I personnally know of 4 owners of the Mk1 S16 who all had major problems, who all sent them back for warranty work and who all passed them on very quickly to the next mug in line. My own gun simply would not index from new. After sending it back it indexed perfectly but the reach is designed for a gibbon (you do mention this), the trigger is agricultural, the rubber coating snags clothes when mounting the gun, it's very air innefficient and it's badly balanced with a sling stud exactly where your leading hand wants to go. There are vast numbers of reports on the lemon-like nature of this product on every airgun board about. They are cheap secondhand for a reason - nobody wants them. The last of the new Mk1s went through individual testing with Logun to attempt to mollify retailers and customers such was the reputation earned. Please tell me why the press is unwarranted in the face of such criticism. The shrouded model has improved the reliability and trigger but not addressed the reach issue.

Before anyone tells me it's accurate I'll say how many guns are there that are innacurate?. I can think of two recent releases so that leaves the vast bulk of all guns being accurate.

I've owned both a S16 and a S410 carbine (plus two S400) and the AA product is premier league (at the price) leaving the S16 struggling in division 1. The AA is popular for a reason - it's good.

Let me get this right 1 of 5, you don't really like the S16 :oops:

:rolleyes:

Too true.

I really would not want anyone to get one of these, be dissapointed and quit airgunning. There's nothing wrong with getting one when you are armed with all the info you can get and are prepared to put up with it's faults and foibles if and when they arise. You can then kick your own backside for ignoring the advice.

I've bought guns with a less than impressive reputation before but done so with my eyes wide open. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone getting their fist gun to be so accomodating of a bad gun. Newbies have enough to learn without tolerating a lemon.

Hi all

I dont often post on airgunning, though I have been doing it even longer than shotgunning. These rifles all look like very nice peices of kit, but is there anyone here who has owned a "bells and whistles" gun, as I did, (I had a BSA Superten MKII when they wereall the rage), but got rd of it for a simpler gun. I sold my superten and got a BSA lightning XL, and although I now have to worry about compensating for different positions, I find it very liberating to have a gun I dont have to worry about too much (recharging etc). Am I alone in my airgun downsizing?

Pete

And another thing seeing as your poll is locked wabit - get a .177. .22 is tough to hit things with due to the loopy trajectory. .177 is far more forgiving on range estimation. If you use a .22 you'll have to limit your range far more so than with a .177 - to the tune of 10 yds less or so. Nothing overly wrong with that if that's ok by you, but it's not ideal in my book.

Before the inevitable happens and someone says they can shoot a .22 perfectly well to 45 yds in the field I'll say I've seen enough at UKAHFT events to proove such a statement to be gonads. The winning score is always a .177 (usually by some margin) and with a 12 ft/lb airgun the slight extra downrange energy of .22 means diddly. Shot placement is everything.

The S16 is .22 only. The S410 is .177 or .22. Go along to your local club and ask to try theirs before you part with your money. Try a .22 and try a .177, preferably away from the plinking range and at unknown distances and you'll see my point. You can't kill what you don't hit.

dont think you can beat a good n(or even bad!) S400/410. come to think oif it there are only two rifles i tell people to stay away from:

GUNPOWER STEALTH (you either get a good one or a bad one, im lucky i have a good one :rolleyes:)

LOGUN SWEET 16 (nothing good about them in my opinion :lol:)

all the other PCP rifles out there, there is very little to choose from apart from how it sits on your shoulder.

What hasnt been said at the moment is try to find out where you local air gun club is and pop along to see what others are shooting there, more than lilkly someone there would have a S400 that they would be willing to let you try to see how you get on with it. Never know they might just be one little thing you dont like about the rifle that could spoil it for you :lol:

I really would advise against a combo kit as can be bought from the mags as the first thing you will want to do is get a slightly better scope than the one you would get to start with. So it would be worth while checking out the optics on offer before you sign on the dotted line.

Least with the AA rifles you wont have to trudge through all the pellets oiut there to find a decent one AA field every time with them :oops:

ROB :lol:

OK - why is the bad press unwarranted. YOU may have one that works but a vast number (fact) did not. Their service centre dealt with vast numbers of returns of this shoddy pile of junk. I personnally know of 4 owners of the Mk1 S16 who all had major problems,

They are cheap secondhand for a reason - nobody wants them. The last of the new Mk1s went through individual testing with Logun to attempt to mollify retailers and customers such was the reputation earned. Please tell me why the press is unwarranted in the face of such criticism. The shrouded model has improved the reliability and trigger but not addressed the reach issue.

I've owned both a S16 and a S410 carbine (plus two S400) and the AA product is premier league (at the price) leaving the S16 struggling in division 1. The AA is popular for a reason - it's good.

I have edited your post into three sections that I will address.......

1) The limited experience I have of the S16 is that my two shooting partners have them. In all the times they have been out they have had no problems.

2) Perhaps the best way to buy these guns is second hand as all the problems have been ironed out under warranty. Both my friends guns are second hand.

3) You have owned both so you are infinatley more qualified to judge. Therefore he should listen to you! :rolleyes:

I own an S-16 and it has been very good to me, though if I were to make this choice, I would definately go for the Air Arms in .22.

The logun is rather heavy and requires a long arm to hold it comfortably. The Air arms though more expensive is lighter and requires a shorter reach. If you get it in .22 it will suffice your 75% hunting scenario and give you more shots per fill, over the .177.

Yes the .177 has a longer flatter trajectory but in my opinion the .22 gives a better punch and isnt so susceptable to wind. Since you need to work out holds it doesnt matter if its .22 or .177, you still have to work them out.

But this is only my opinion, try some out at a club and go with the rifle and calibre that gives YOU the best results.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

**** it iwill stay with the weihrauch and anschutz and bsa's i've got.

A strange thing i've always had .22 in the air rifle section until i bought a .177 by accident and now i will not buy another .22,i'm converted to .177.

All my air rifles are gas rammed except my anshutz 335 and i wanted a sweet16 but no way i'll stick to what i've got me think's.

P.S. has anyone else on here had or got an anshutz335 ?.If the answer is yes let me know what your thoughts are on it.

Hi wabit first of all dont bother buying ur gun from [ airgun buyer] there a rip off and are to well known.

I found a really good website for airguns wich is [ www.targetsports.co.uk ] much better website and cheaper ! even good second hand pcp guns at good prices .

Also go for the logun gun range there guns are quality and my uncle bougth a Logun MKII Professional for £800 and he has regreted it !wat a gun! and it is dead silent. Also search up [www.airsportdirect.com] another good website.

I hope u choose the rigth gun

:D ant

Hi wabit first of all dont bother buying ur gun from [ airgun buyer] there a rip off and are to well known.

I found a really good website for airguns wich is [ www.targetsports.co.uk ] much better website and cheaper ! even good second hand pcp guns at good prices .

Also go for the logun gun range there guns are quality and my uncle bougth a Logun MKII Professional for £800 and he has regreted it !wat a gun! and it is dead silent. Also search up [www.airsportdirect.com] another good website.

I hope u choose the rigth gun

:D ant

If by [airgun buyer] you mean BAR (airgunbuyer.com) you are in a very small minority claiming them to be a rip-off. They have an excellent reputation within the airgunning world. Their secondhand prices aren't as good as private but they give a good deal on the gun you are trading in too. Twice I've been offered the price I asked for guns which frankly weren't selling at that price privately on the various forums. Their afterslaes rep. is second to none.

Target-sports website is a std web design bought over the counter so to speak. It's exactly the same web design as many other sites. Their prices are ok but no better than many other places.

Logun have a very bad reputation for guns with just about every serious shooter. The only two they actually make are the professional (known as the Logun Rifle) in Mk2 guise with a poxy inline mag and are far more likely to be sworn at that sworn by, and the S16 which is top candidate for Lemon of the decade. All the rest of their range are re-badged FX guns offerings, with the Solo also coming in for major stick for constant loss of zero and bad groups. Your uncle bought one and regretted it!!!! - not the best recommendation I've ever read!

[www.airsportdirect.com] Webley exocet - £176 versus JSR for £145. I could go on but why bother.

Wabit

The problem you have is one of sifting the good advice from the bad. A club is the best BS filter about as most club members will have seen and used a variety of guns and talked to many others who have too. Many people on forums simply recommend what they know which may in all truth turn out to be rather limited. Whilst that recommendation will in all likelyhood have been made with the best intentions it doesn't necessarily help you and may in fact hinder.

Wabit

The problem you have is one of sifting the good advice from the bad. A club is the best BS filter about as most club members will have seen and used a variety of guns and talked to many others who have too. Many people on forums simply recommend what they know which may in all truth turn out to be rather limited. Whilst that recommendation will in all likelyhood have been made with the best intentions it doesn't necessarily help you and may in fact hinder.

eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr........... I guess you can count me in on that sometimes as well :*)

What I said isn't intended as a personal pop at anyone but whilst there are often genuine differences of oppinions there are also differences of oppinion which arise through differences of experience (to put things politely). The job of those seeking advise is to then decide whether to follow the advice given or not. It's often a tough task when you know very little being new to it and assume all others know lots more. The best advise on kit will always come from a club environment IMO where there is a wide variety of kit and experience. Even if you have zero interest in target shooting a few visits to a club before you buy your first gun would be high on my must do list.